I want to renounce us citizenship?

Please help, I'm in Mexico, I'm a us citizen, I'm about to renounce us citizenship next month, I only have a car in the US, basically I want to abandon that car, will I get in trouble for abandoning my car and leaving the US and renouciating us citizenship?

• Prince

Good riddance. Don't let the door hit your backside on the way out.

• Foofa

Probably not, but it would be better to donate it to a charity or something rather than just making it someone else's problem to dispose of it. 

Why not just live in Mexico, but retain your U.S. citizenship? Surrendering your citizenship will make it difficult or impossible for you to return to the States to visit your parents or siblings, to attend family events, to settle family estates or to leave Mexico should things there become difficult due to crime, the Mexican economy or hostility with the locals.

You'll never be allowed back into the US; I assume this isn't an issue. Might be better to gift the car to someone rather than abandon it. 

Also; I assume you hold another country's citizenship, as you can't revoke your US citizenship otherwise. 

In which country do you hold citizenship, besides US? Mexico? Or some other country, and you have legal residency in Mexico? You MUST be a citizen of another country, AND legally reside outside the US (either in your other country of citizenship, or a third country where you hold legal residency). It costs $2350 to file an application to renounce US citizenship. You must prove you have been paying your US income taxes - and continue to file & pay as required until you RECEIVE your Certificate of Renunciation. It can take about a year to be scheduled for an appointment at the nearest US consulate to your legal residence to take the oath of renunciation. And it can take another year or so to actually receive your Certificate of Renunciation.

Only an idiot would renounce US citizenship unless they are extremely wealthy and are trying to avoid US income taxes.