Have you tried the virus-free for life Linux Mint operating system?

What are your pros and cons when comparing it to Apple or Windows....

Okay so, any operating system CAN get a virus/malware/spyware, etc.

Windows pros: All software made for a Windows operating system simply installs, and works straight out-of-the-box, usually, in a normal situation.  IE: A new, clean install of a Windows operating system, would be considered normal.  Nothing else has been installed.

Now when comparing Linux Mint to Windows:  Cons:

Some software made for Windows may or may not work with Linux.  This goes for both games, and software programs.

You have to search and figure out which programs will work.

Pros: It appears that most, if not all, motherboard drivers install automatically, but I'm unsure about that.  For Windows, I have to install a LAN driver, to get internet.  When I run a Live Linux session from a CD, that driver is installed automatically and I can get out to the internet.

Final thought: I would love nothing more than to do a full, 100% move to Linux, but there are programs that I use in Windows that don't work in Linux, and I rely on those programs.  It is suggested to run a virtual machine of Windows where you can have both operating systems, but for me personally, it defeats the entire purpose of moving to Linux.

If and when I do a 100% move to Linux, I do that move because I don't want anything more to do with Windows.  Not even in a virtual environment.  So really, the pros with Windows is that most, if not all programs will just work.  I've never used Apple, so I can't advise you on it.

EDIT: If microjunk ever made it so Windows 7 users can no longer use the OS, that's when I'll make a full move, because I won't basterdize my machine by putting junkwin 10 on it.

• Lv 7

ALL OSes are virus-free. but all OSes are subject to viruses and malware. especially if you get apps from third parties...

but yeah, Mint is a good beginner Linux. i like the Cinnamon interface.

I've been using Ubuntu or Linux Mint since 2008. Currently using Linux Mint Mate.

Don't know anything about the "virus-free for life" part? However- I have never had a virus using either...at least that I am aware of.

Pros and cons-vs Apple or Windows?? Never used Apple and always struggle with windows- to me Linux Mint is far easier than any windows. I do not know how to write code or work in the command line- and do not care to learn. With Linux Mint- I don't need it.

I see online many folks complain about games in Linux- but that has never been an issue for me. I don't play games.

As Linux goes, Mint is well polished and an improvement over its direct ancestor Ubuntu. But it's still Linux. A lot of software you might be using under Mac or Windows has a counterpart in Linux but it's the "bizarro Superman" version made from scratch by well-meaning volunteers. 

I'd recommend it for people with simple needs like web and email, or for the adventurous cheapskate, but not normal people who want to be able to use the latest brand-name software with their friends and coworkers.

• keerok

Personally, Mint is the closest way to get the windows feel with Linux but that's almost purely cosmetic though. Underneath, it's more powerful.