.
. asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 2 months ago

Can AncestryDNA kit tell you what person you're related to, example; Joan of Arc?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc This is all new to me and I need to know what the kit can, and can not do. Thank you in advance :-)

• Phil

The Bible tells me I am Related to Adam and Eve as well as Noah.

Ancestry or any other company that provides DNA projections only compares existing samples in existing databases.  There is no samples for Joan of Arch or many other historical figures.

Source(s): Genealogical Researcher 50+ years

No.  They don't have Joan of Arc's DNA in their database.

No, it doesn't do that. I gives you an idea of what geographic areas your ancestors came from based on statistics.

No, it cannot. Too general. If you want to learn that you'd need to go to a DNA matching service that compares it to the DNA database of people with known heredity. Since relatively ferw people have participated, the chance of any positive matches for you is minimal.

• Zirp

Only if that person's DNA is in the database and you happen to share several bundles of DNA with him/her. Ultimately we are all distant cousins of eachother

Some companies will even bring you into contact with eachother, if both parties have given explicit permission for that.

• Maxi

No, DNA testing is just for entertainment, tells you nothing at all about your ancestors

• Cogito

No.  All it will do is tell you roughly what area of the world your very distant ancestors came from.