Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Petsmart shaved my mini golden doodle puppy.. how long till it will grow back?

I took my 13 week old mini golden doodle puppy to Petsmart for a TRIM and they shaved all his beautiful curls off!!! It’s not shaved down to the skin there’s still some fur on him but I’m curious when he will start looking like a mini doodle again! I hate that they did this to him during his puppy stage when he is small... any tips on getting his hair to grow back faster?! 

He was NOT matted, i brush him every single day! He looked like a teddy bear before. No need for the negativity!!! Thanks to all those who answered. 

It could take a few months.  To those who say that all doodles need to be shaved, that is absolute BS, I am a groomer and have done many doodles in longer coats.  It is up to the owner to be able to keep up with brushing, and I mean daily brushing, and after you finish brushing the dog you need to drag a dog comb through the fur to make sure that you got all of the knots.  So it is a lot of work to keep a doodle in a longer cut.

• Ocimom

You don't get it.  The doodles  are mutts and horrible to groom or take care of, so the best thing do do is shave them every few months - NOT trim.  A purebred poodle will get cut and trimmed .  The doodles coat is very different then a purebred poodle because its a combination of curly fur tangled with longer fur and a mess to try and brush or comb.

I don't know how long it will take - but guessing maybe 2 months.  Then its time to shave them down again.

They SHAVE because doodle owners dont BRUSH. You have to brush down to the skin. He was likely matted. No groomer would shave a dog without mats.

EDIT: I dont believe you.

Did you brush down to the skin and use a comb to make sure the mats arent skin level. You can still brush and brush incorrectly

In some grooming places you have to be specific or they come up with their own interpretation

This is what happens when you use the JOKERS at Petsmart.  Looks like you now have a large "shaved down for summer" -Cocker Spaniel.  It isn't even a smooth cut, it's a HACK job -geez!

Have you READ ALL the complaints & how many dogs have DIED jumping and HANGING themselves or gotten razor BURNS from being shaved (too close) basically abused and so frightened they get upset at going back at THAT PLACE?  Obviously not.  You could not PAY ME to use Petsmart for vet services, training or for any grooming.  And a gun would need to be held to my head, for me to buy pet SUPPLIES there.

USE a professional groomer at a grooming shop- (NOT A PET SUPPLY STORE) if you want a good job done and make sure you COMMUNICATE what you want done rather than "assuming" you are on the same page, especially on a MIX with NO BREED STANDARD or typical coat, type.

Sorry, there is no way to get the coat to GROW BACK FASTER.... or any guarantee it will be, as it was before.

• Maxi

Then you should have requested a puppy trim and also a groomer who is qualified, not someone who just hacked at its coat........ but there again if you wanted that you would not go to petsmart

'Goldendoodle' is not a breed, and there is no actual correct CUT for it.  What you got is a trim on the coat the dog had.  

He's a pup and he's shedding out his fine, soft puppy coat.  What re-grows will be either a dense, fine, golden coat, a curly poodle coat, or something in between.  There's no telling with a mixed-breed.

His coat might grow back luxurious and gorgeous.  Or it may be totally embarrassing.  It may have lush, soft curls.  Or it may be mostly straight and dry and strawlike.

Nothing you can really do except care for the coat he has.  No shampoo or conditioner or treatment will make his coat grow back in faster.  Good nutrition helps with coat quality but won't change the coat your pup is genetically-programmed to have.  

You have to wait and see what grows back, and then consult (and in the future USE) a professional groomer (NOT PetSmart) for advice on how to best manage your pup's coat.

• Amber

Maybe they had a reason but usually permission is common courtesy. They did a terrible job as well, it's very choppy. It'll grow when it grows I'm afraid, he'll be getting his adult coat soon anyway. Beautiful dog, mutts are the best.

i would ask them this question

Your mutt will be shedding that fine puppy coat soon and growing in his adult coat.   He will be shaggy again within 2 months

And that IS a trim