Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

I have a townhouse and my finished basement is 19’. Is it a bad idea to set up an airgun range for a Gamo Varmint Air Rifle .177 Cal?

I’m thinking that a sheet of ceramic backer board won’t be enough...

• Kenny
    Favorite Answer

Hang a piece of old carpet in front of your backer board about 2 to 4 inches away from the board .  That will slow the pellet, cut down on the sound and help control ricochets  

• Mr.357

Clearly ceramic backer board would not be enough.  Try cardboard or crumpled up news paper.

• david

Great idea!  With the right kind of backdrop, the pellets or bb's will simply drop.  We did this in my basement 30 yrs ago, by shooting into an open bucket tilted onto it's side.  The bottom of the bucket was stuffed with shopping bags and a piece of cardboard.  We would put various targets in it like toys or pictures.  It would absorb and contain all the shots within the bags.

Basement shooting ranges exist throughout America.  Air rifles, co2 rifles, up to actual firearms.  So no, its not a bad idea unless you go whole hog.  A .458 Win Mag is a bit excessive though.

• JJ

It's going to be louder than you think. Your neighbors are going to hear it.