What happens if you break your lease early? ?

I’m relocating closer to my job and I’m just wondering what are the possible things that can happen? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If you pay the fee associated, nothing happens.

• 2 months ago

Worst case you end up paying the rent each month until they either rent it to someone else, or your lease expires.  Most will allow you to buy your way out of your lease somehow.

• 2 months ago

You can be required to pay all the rent for the lease term. 

• G R
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It depends on what is stated in the lease you signed.  when you read it you will find out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

They can charge you what ever lease break fee is stated in the lease.  If none is stated they can charge you rent through the end of the lease or until they get a new tenant. You woild nto get sued unless you leave without paying. 

• 2 months ago

The answer from "maxi" is wrong, you can leave early as long as you still pay the rent until the end of the lease, no tenant is a prisoner. You can ask the landlord to drop the the lease, they might be willing particularly if you get them a new tenant. For example I left a year long lease early and told the landlord to keep the deposit instead, he accepted that. Negotiate with the landlord or move out and still pay the rent until the end of the lease.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Without landlord agreement they could take you to court for breach of contract and that will get you a CCJ against you wrecking your credit and you will owe the landlord unpaid rent and court /legal costs

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.