Erik asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Is it rude if I leave my wet shoes in the shared hallway in apartment setting?

Those days it rains a lot, or sometimes my boots get mud on them, so I leave them outside on my doormat for a few hours just so it gets dried or the mud gets dried before I take them inside. But my gf ask me to take it inside, she said some of the Karens might think it's rude. 

Well, is it rude?

I bought a mud tray for shoes, but my door opens on the inside( bu pulling in, instead of pushing out) and the mud tray will get stuck on the door, so I can't use a mud tray. 

Favorite Answer

No, it isn't rude. If you are putting your boots/shoes on a Matt or mud tray in front of your own door and are not blocking anyone else's access to the shared hallway or their own residences, you are fine.  This is actually a common practice in many places where people don't wear shoes in the home.  

Unless they stink, it's not rude. Just make sure that you keep them close to your door so people don't trip on them. As long as nobody complains, I wouldn't consider it rude at all. Keep in mind that you do risk them being stolen though.

• Prince

Yes but, worse than rude, they could be stolen. Plastic garbage bags, bought in bulk, cost about three cents. Pick a place inside the apartment and set your shoes on an unfolded plastic bag there.

It's not rude in the slightest unless the shoes are in a place where people have to walk around them.  I'm having trouble picturing that, though, since they're on a doormat.  The other thing is, even if some Karen thinks it's rude, who cares?  Nobody should change their behavior to accommodate a Karen.

i dont think its rude

If nobody has complained, and as long as your boots aren't taking up too much space in a small area, I see no reason why you can't keep on doing that.

If somebody DOES complain, well, you can think about it again then. But as long as nobody complains there isn't a problem.

• Daisy

No, it's not rude.   As long as they don't exude an odor- it's fine.  Bring them in when they dry.   Having wet smelling shoes and boots in a confined area isn't pleasant, either.  I hope no one decides to steal your shoes though!  Be sure they aren't blocking someone's path or may hinder someone -- say with a walker or cane. 

I don't think it's rude as long as they aren't in anyone's way, it's not against policy or fire code, they don't stink, etc. 

It's rude to refer to other people as "Karens". 

• drip

People could be tripping on them. If another tenant complains, then move them.

You can take them off as you stand on your door mat and then put them on your mud tray inside and close the door.  

Really this Karen crap has to stop. 

Unless there is an apartment policy which states footwear cannot be left outside the individual residence, feel free to leave your muddy boots outside.  You cannot control or change the behavior of other people and while another tenant may find your footwear offensive, this does not negate your decision-making process.