Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

As an English learner, I can basically read and write English, but can't listen to English. How to improve it quickly? Thanks.?

Hearing  is the most difficult thing to learn a foreign language. Do you agree?

Listening to books on tape or picking a movie you have seen and watching it again to have an idea of the English they are speaking from the first time you saw it or just watch a movie you have not seen before in English.

There is a difference between "listening to" something and understanding it. You in fact SHOULD listen to English as much as possible. It's only by listening that you will gradually learn to distinguish familiar patterns and hear individual words.

Listen to songs, listen to the news, listen to the soundtrack in movies. The more different voices you hear, the better you'll become at picking out the similarities.

Yeah I agree. I can say most things in  Catalan but if two natives are talking fast they might as well be speaking Japanese. 

The only solution is hundreds of hours of listening to tv radio etc. Tip. Factual is always easier than drama. Professional actors and presenters are easier to understand than the general population.

How about lessening to music of this? Of songs you already know.

Pray to GOD for help. 

• Zirp

There is no quickly. Exposure is the only way. Listen to international spoken radio. Voice Of America even has broadcasts in "special English", which is normal English without fancy words, spoken slowly and enunciated.

I'm in the same case than you, since I don't have the opportunity to speak in English in my country ( France).

Anyway what said babyboomer1001 before me is good / could work!

Turn on the TV.  Court TV is a good one.  Mystery TV.  Flip the channels until you find one you like where people are talking.