Do you hire a car or you rent a car?

All my life I used "rent" for this kind of situation, but is "hire" more popular in great britian? I'm not british, just studying the british variations of english.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Tyler
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Iza hires my car bossman.

• JOHN
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

• 4 months ago

Here in the UK it’s been traditionally known as car hire. 

But the American term car rental has also become very common indeed and is now used interchangeably. 

I probably habitually type the search term “car rental” these days whenever I wish to hire a car. 

Car hire is a term which is slowly becoming more associated with getting a chauffeured car service. Such as wedding or funeral car hire. Or those bloody awful stretch limo hire services which usually smell inside of spilt stale alcohol, puke, and cheap perfume...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

You are too overcoming it.

• 5 months ago

You buy a car.......

• Mmm J
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It depends on the activity.

If you are going to a care rental agency, like Hertz, Avis, Dollar etc., and no driver comes with the vehicle because you are the driver, then you are renting the car.

If you called a taxi, cab or "livery service", then you are hiring a care.

If you are using something like Uber, Lyft or any of those "not a cab, but a person is paid to pick you up and drop you off for a fee" companies, they are ride sharing (even though sharing has nothing to do with the business model), then that would be "ride sharing", "ride hailing" or any of a number of other "not a cab, but a person is paid to pick you up and drop you off for a fee" companies, then it seems you can call it whatever they want you to call it, except not a cab (or taxi) company.

• 7 months ago

I would use rent a car.

Usually hiring something would involve the owner of it operating it.

Or you hire someone to clean your house.

Consider the word's use in "renting" a flat rather than "hiring" a flat. (Apartment to non-English speakers)

I do see that the term "Hire Car" is becoming more prevalent though, but it is an Americanism.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.