Anonymous

If you are a homeowner and landed a job that was an hour and a half away from your house, would you rent a room or make the long commute?

• Jay
    Favorite Answer

1.5 hours * 2 = 3hours of time.

$25.00 per hour. = $75.00 a day of unpaid travel time

So, if you earn $25.00 per hour for 8 hours of work that = 8x$25.00 = $200.

But you are in reality actually working 11 hours (including travel time) so in reality you are earning $18.18 per hour.

If $18.18 per hour is MORE than you can earn within 30 mins of home…keep the job…maybe move to a home 30 mins or more closer.

If you can earn $18.18 per hour near your home, and you can walk to work in 30 mins or less (if you wanted to) You may want that jib instead…especially if there is upward mobility. (Meaning: They promote from within)

You are probably using up 4 gallons of gas every day commuting…so you need to consider that means a tank of gas a week – 20 gallons (average) @ 2.30 per gallon is $46.00 a week…give or take… so …at $25.00 an hour…you have to work almost 2 hours just to fill your tank up to get to and from this job.

That depends how much money you make.

• Eva

3 hrs a day commute? Rent a room and come home on weekends if it's not feasible to sell your house and move.

Commute. Duplicating a household (the rental) or doing without something would be a hassle. Renting would probably also increase food expense. However, high end price of gas, oil, etc for commuting maybe $150 ... vs $30 for Monday morning going and Friday evening trip home.  You have friends and neighborhood convenience around your home.

• y

How old, what are my other responsibilities and such, how hard up am I for a job and such, is this job worth it and such.  I drove all over the state at one point, I know people, including my wife, who travel the world for work. I know many that commute(or did) into Boston daily. That's an hour plus on a good day, I did it at one point, my wife has done it a couple of different times over the last 30 years.   Would either of us do it now? Nope. But then it was worth it, either for the job, the stepping stone, whatever. That is what got us to this place where now, we do not have to do things like that.