ED asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Writing a memoir?

What are some things to keep in mind when writing a book? The material is not an issue, it’s the expense and I guess “rules” I have been reading up on...such as needing a proof reader, editor, book cover artist, etc.

Any additional advise would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Pearl, you are a MORON, once again! Can you READ my second sentence Before you answer please?

• Marli

Spelling, grammar, sentence structure, paragraph structure. The rules you were taught in grade school.

How to write what you mean to say.

How to write with color and detail, but also how to keep them from clogging the pacing and flow. Knowing the definitions of words that seem the same but are not.  Knowing how to write in ways that will interest a reader and will convince the reader that your story or premise is valid.Pearl is right in that the subject  of your memoir has to grab my attention before I will borrow or buy it.  If Terry Fox had not ran / jogged / hopped halfway across Canada on one leg of flesh and sinew and one leg of aluminum and steel on his "Marathon of Hope" for a cure from cancer, his story would not have been interesting and inspiring.  He was a good looking teenager and he got as far as Thunder Bay before he had to quit. Had he succeeded or had he not been an attractive youth, his effort might not have had such punch that runners still run for cancer research funding in his name. An athlete's story bores me. Terry's story does not, even now.

Write the book first, then you can concern yourself with the rest of it.

I'll start with the additional advice and ask if you're sure the material is not an issue? As in, do you know how to write a novel? Plot structure, scenes, dialogue tags, beats, using sentence structure to reflect what you're writing, telling vs. showing (why you should do it and when it's better to break that rule) etc.

If yes, fine. If no, then that should be your main focus for now and then you can worry about all the rest afterwards.

Otherwise, what I would add to the list you have already is:

Beta-readers, this should be someone who can give you an honest and objective review, and this usually means that your family and friends are out. Same with the writers who say they're reviewing each other, but who are more focused on mutual back-patting.

Marketing, this is something you can start already now. Build an online presence so that you can promote your book, remember not to come across as an overeager sales man. People want to get to know YOU, you are what is going to sell the book.

But... write the book first. If you aren't that far along yet, then don't spend time looking for proofreaders, editors, cover artists or reading up on how to format your novel for self-publishing, because by the time you're ready for all that, things might have changed or something better might have come along.

• Cogito

First, as Pearl said, ask yourself if anyone would really want to read it!  The material IS an issue - a huge issue.

Forget about all the 'finishing' necessities until you've completed your book and are confident that it would sell really well.You also might like to improve your spelling.  It's 'advice' - not 'advise'.

• Tina

Are you in the process of writing, or are you thinking about publishing a finished work?

Unless it's the second and you are ready to publish then you need not worry about expense, finding a  proof reader, editor or cover artist. All you need is a keyboard - or even a pencil and paper, and time and space to work.

• Andrew

Day in and day out there are people posting all kinds of questions on this forum who claim to be writing a book... 

We've seen everything over the years - people come here to ask for ideas for a plot, names for characters, they ask about blurbs and cover designs and fonts, they ask about the writing process, about the ins and outs of publishing, they ask about how to find proofreaders or editors or beta readers... 

But you know what we NEVER see - and I mean EVER? Questions from people who say "I've completed my book. What now?" We never see questions from people who say "I completed a first draft. Then I proofread that draft. Then I edited that draft. Then I revised that draft. Then I refined that draft. I then rewrote the entire piece in its entirety to reflect all of the changes made. Also, I repeated several of those steps because I wanted it to be as close to perfect as it could possibly be. So what now?"

And here you are, yet another dimwitted oaf who doesn't even know the fecking difference between "advice" and "advise" which every native speaker over 10 years old ought to know, asking a stupid, incredibly broad question about what will almost definitely be some imbecilic bunk that you couldn't give away to a recycling centre. 

Sit down and write your rubbish. Then, and ONLY then, may you return to ask about "some other things to keep in mind." 

You people love to focus on inconsequential nonsense because it provides a convenient excuse to divert time, effort, and attention away from writing. If you don't have an actual book you don't need an editor or a cover design. 

And if you're going to be arrogant, the least you could do is not come off like a total and complete buffoon. You're the one asking for help, not us. Keep a civil tongue in your head. 

just write about things people would like to read