Can you have a 45-75 ft. boat on any lake or are there size regulations based on the depth and size of the lake?

Like many people, I want a yacht of my own. I'm sure each place has different regulations. Bonus: is it easier to take care of a boat in fresh water? 

I'm not trolling, I'm actually really curious. Besides there are many large fresh water lakes around the US and the world (the great lakes, a lot of the lakes in Minnesota, Lake Tahoe, the Ozarks, etc.) Also, I'm fine with a 45ft. boat which is roughly the average size of a pool. I've actually seen a few large boats in lakes. I guess specifically California, Colorado missouri, New York, Illinois, Michigan, and Minnesota. Again I know it's different everywhere. 

• 28AKO
    Favorite Answer

We can't tell you that! Each state, city, county, and state set their own rules and regulations when it comes to this. 

In many of the states you mentioned you can have a boat 45+ ft as long as it has some sort of horn, ample amount of life vests, and a few coast guard approved fire extinguishers. You also obviously have to have a license which you can typically get in 90 days. 

• Ron

I'm sure each place has different regulations

Wow look at you figuring that out