Can you have a 45-75 ft. boat on any lake or are there size regulations based on the depth and size of the lake?

Like many people, I want a yacht of my own. I'm sure each place has different regulations. Bonus: is it easier to take care of a boat in fresh water? 

Update:

I'm not trolling, I'm actually really curious. Besides there are many large fresh water lakes around the US and the world (the great lakes, a lot of the lakes in Minnesota, Lake Tahoe, the Ozarks, etc.) Also, I'm fine with a 45ft. boat which is roughly the average size of a pool. I've actually seen a few large boats in lakes. I guess specifically California, Colorado missouri, New York, Illinois, Michigan, and Minnesota. Again I know it's different everywhere. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 28AKO
    Lv 5
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

We can't tell you that! Each state, city, county, and state set their own rules and regulations when it comes to this. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In many of the states you mentioned you can have a boat 45+ ft as long as it has some sort of horn, ample amount of life vests, and a few coast guard approved fire extinguishers. You also obviously have to have a license which you can typically get in 90 days. 

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I'm sure each place has different regulations

Wow look at you figuring that out

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.