j asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

how do I keep my mango trees in winter in the uk?

I don't want to use a heated greenhouse. I am growing the trees from seed.  I thought that I can buy 3 different sized plastic greenhouses and put the mango trees in the smallest one and put them each in a bigger greenhouse. Do you think that is sufficient to keep them warm?

so there will be 3 layers of greenhouse to keep the mangoes warm

there is a mango tree in our backyard and it only gets a few mangos a year. this is in sydney australia and even sydney is not hot enough

• Ben

No, that won't be sufficient. Mangoes are a house plant in this country. They can go outside in the summer, but they must be kept above 5c at a bare minimum and ideally above 10c.

Also bear in mind that you will never get it to fruit in this country, so if that was your goal you may want to rethink growing them. 

But I still grow mango in my own garden, about a dozen different varieties. ... The best climate to grow mangoes is frost free with cool, dry winters and steamy, hot ...

• Embery

You don't, sorry, that's just how it is.

Mangoes are tropical plants.  Find another plant to grow.

Simply parcel them up in a box and send them to some random place in the tropics. Red tape and Customs officials will keep them in some warehouse, there, for months, and by the time they think of returning them to you it'll be Summer again. I'd water them well before you start, mind.

In Devon you might manage it.  In Penrith, no way!  You'll need to bring them in for the winter the first several years when they're extremely sensitive to the cold.  If they survive to get bigger you'll need to rugg them up like tree ferns before putting under glass.  Remember, that you still need to regulate your plastic greenhouses so they don't suddently go from too cold to too hot.

• Mark

OK, put a clear plastic bag (no, I'm not kidding) over it.