Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

Will the COVID-19 vaccine be included with the flu vaccine this year?

With everyone scared about COVID-19, and a vaccine being worked on, will that vaccine be included with flu shots this fall?  I always get an annual flu shot but I don't want a COVID-19 shot because they're rushing to get it out and I don't know what they'll put in it or what side effects there will be.  I'd much rather take my chances with what I've been doing.  I've been going out sparingly and ALWAYS wearing a mask and I haven't gotten sick yet.  Will I be able to just opt for a flu shot or are they going to combine the flu and COVID-19 shots in one?

• Edna

The flu virus and the corona virus are two entirely different kinds of viruses - they can't combine the two into one vaccination.

It wouldn't matter anyway, even if they could. There is NOT going to be a corona virus vaccine available by the end of 2020 - there can't be. They haven't even formulated a corona virus vaccine yet. 

From the time any new vaccine is formulated, it has to undergo at least 16 to 18 months of human test trials and the test trials analyzed for several more months before the vaccine is deemed safe to use, and is approved and released by the U.S. FDA.  There MIGHT be a corona virus vaccine available for use some time in 2022. 

If you want to be vaccinated against something now, get vaccinated against the flu and against pneumonia. The flu vaccine will give you limited immunity for only one year (you'll have to be re-vaccinated against the new strain of flu every year), but the pneumonia vaccine will protect you against pneumonia for 5 years. 

Pneumonia affects your respiration and your ability to breathe. It's the people who contract a severe case of corona virus and it develops into pneumonia who are most likely to die. If you have a severe case of corona virus and it develops into pneumonia, it can kill you.

No, the COVID-19 vaccine will be like the AIDS vaccine, promised for years but never delivered. Sad to say that Covid-19 is here to stay. 

We probably won't have a vaccine this year.  The most optimistic estimate I've heard for a vaccine is maybe late winter early spring next year.  It may more realistically be like late spring early summer. 

Since we don't have the vaccine yet it's not clear how it will be distributed.  But if you don't want a vaccine then I'm sure you're going to be free to not get one.  It's not like they're likely to force you to get a corona vaccine if you want a flu vaccine.  But with how corona has spread and upended life, a proof of vaccination may become an important requirement for things like returning to work and other activities. 

first of all, we should not compare COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) with the common/seasonal flu viruses.. there are several strains of influenzae virus that are behind the seasonal flu that makes flu vaccine production more difficult than vaccines against coronaviruses.. those two are entirely different beasts even though they cause similar symptoms..

no.. they are not going to be included into one vial or into the same vaccination table.. and most COVID-19 vaccines are single one shot only, unlike the Flu vaccine that you need to get them every year, because we are getting different strains of Flu virus every year..

having said that.. the production of a new vaccine takes YEARS, sometimes 4 or 10 years because of strict regulations regarding to human trials to test the safety of a new vaccine.. but COVID-19 vaccines (pleural) research are taking shortcuts because COVID-19 vaccines are based on old vaccines for other infections that had already passed their OWN human trials and were proven to be safe back then.. they just need shorter human trials to make sure that they are near 100% safe..

many companies and even countries have different approach on COVID-19 vaccine.. some pharmaceutical companies are modifying the existing SARS mRNA-based vaccines.. some are modifying the existing MERS DNA-based vaccines.. some are modifying the BCG (tuberculosis) vaccine.. and some are modifying the polio vaccines..

again, COVID-19 vaccines are re-used vaccines from vaccines that are already deemed safe and are in current use.. they just need a shorter human trials to make sure that the vaccine is safe and works as advertised.. which reminds me of my childhood, as the youngest in my family, my parents often forced me to wear my siblings old clothe; sometimes they had to patch them up or tweak them a bit to fit me better.. i never liked it as i was growing up but it was a shortcut that my parents took that worked..

a good example of re-used items, is Remdesivir, that both pres.Trump and Dr.Fauci had praised the antivirus drug to be the key in COVID-19 as a cure for people who already have it.. Remdesivir is not a new drug, and it is originally an anti-Ebola and an Anti-Harbourage virus medication that needed some tweak to be used in COVID-19..

seasonal Flu vaccine is also a reused vaccine but again, the influenzae viruses behind the seasonal/common flu (not to be confused with the Common Cold) are different beasts from coronaviruses.. they operate like a combination lock, each year the combination/code number/password on the Flu virus change, so the existing Flu vaccine is tweaked and re-programmed with a different set of combination each year.. by comparison, coronaviruses' vaccines (SARS (2005), MERS (2013) and COVID-19 (2019)) are like lock and key type of locks.. the lock changes for such coronaviruses, but the keys are very similar from the same manufacturer.. you just use existing keys and re-shape/file/hammer them a bit to open newer locks..

the point is.. i know it is complicated and it can easily overwhelm people who do not speak and breathe science everyday.. but i can tell you that you should always follow the advice of the experts in their field, and of what the local health department is recommending.. if my car is broken or the pipes around the house is giving me problems, there are limits of what i can to fix the problem.. the usual advice is to follow the experts advice on the matter.. and all the best..

• Tavy

No they will be separate. The Covid vaccine in the 

UK is being trialed, no way will it be used if there are side affects.  Scientists all over the world are working on it not just the US.

Nope. That may happen in 2022 or later.

• k w

I'm not, but I do see the many who are.....

• Scott

I don’t think the COVID-19 vaccine will be widely deployable until early January. And healthcare workers and nursing home residents will get it first.