Representing 13.5% of the U.S. population, why are African-Americans represented in 70% of U.S. national television commercials?

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

Partly to redress past exclusion, and partly because -- surprise! -- most African-Americans are middle-class consumers with money to spend. Companies are realizing this and want to attract their patronage and brand loyalty.

And why the hell does it matter? It used to be that women were presented only as housewives on television commercials even though many more of them worked in the 50s and 60s than people realize today.  Now, many more of them are presented as executives, or at least middle manager types, than really are.  But what does it matter?

Why do you care about this, sweetie?  Find something genuinely substantive to concern you.

Who cares.             

-That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.- Christopher Hitchens

To overcompensate for their under-representation in prior years. But, if the actors are just portraying normal, regular people (as opposed to pushing a racial agenda, or an "I beez black" attitude) this effort does bring more balance in America.

unrelated to personal finance.

They aren't.

But depending on what channel you watch, they are certainly disproportionately over-represented in some places which I find rather offensive.  

Watch some crappy channel with Judge Judy at 2 PM on a Monday and you'll see all kinds of commercials that feature blacks selling pay day loans, high risk car insurance, ambulance chasing personal injury attorneys and lottery games.  It's disgusting. 

• Sandy

that's a lie! where'd you get that 70% number? I'm black so I notice things like that. I can count on one hand how many commercials have blacks in them.

• Edwena

And, I will again ask the question.  Why is it that these commercials are accepted by the radical blacks who define what is acceptable for blacks. These commercials show blacks conforming to "systemic racism" of whites.  Just as Aunt Jemima on a box of cream of wheat being marketed to whites.   They are essentially white commercials with black actors.   Traditional white values that are attacked by democrats.

• A.J.

Appeal to Ignorance (argumentum ad ignorantiam) is a logical fallacy concerning claims that cannot be verified. Where did the 70% come from? 

Maybe lately is an extra pressure to show diverse populations in TV.

I think homosexuals actually now are overrepresented. After years of under-representation of any group, if overrepresented for a while, I don't think fair people should have a concern. Can you support your claim, especially non-biased media source?

• Orla

You should ask advertising agencies if you want real answers. Do some research. You're not looking to stir up trouble on YA, are you ??