Why is it so rare to see a woman playing chess? ?

Is this like a man playing with barbie dolls? Even if chess was a mans only type of board game, this is the 21st century, yet women act as if they are not supposed to play it. Which reinforces the idea that females are just not capable of thinking logically, at least not to the extent males do. Surely, there is a lady out there willing to prove the patriarchy wrong. Golf used to be a man only sport but over time things have changed. Why can't the same be true for chess? 

30 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

According to FIDE there are almost 100,000 females that play chess.

• 1 month ago

because they have senses that make them extra good at chess, and they don't want to show off. 

• I know more females than males who play chess. I don't know where you live, but that is definitely a thing isolated to the people you know in your life.

• 1 month ago

"I'm not an avid Chess player, be kind"

My thought on the subject.

Think about it.

Who is the most valued player?

Who do you protect through out a game?

Who always fixes your mistakes, or atleast willing to try?

I actually think that since women are basically playing a chess game off the board, they have no reason to pretend?

Plus, Chess is just so damn boring, play Bananagrams, hahaha.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

they Lack Patients and never understand Strategy even the ones in the Military that is why they make Poor leaders

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Have you tried to play chess when vacuuming, doing laundry and cooking? Impossible. 

• 2 months ago

Chess is not as much fun now that a computer can beat even the best of grand masters.   Most women use their time more productively.  

• 2 months ago

simple its boring , thats why they prefer football , all those hot and sweaty men in tight pants.

• 2 months ago

Chess doesn't get much public attention, it is a very niche community.

But of course, when people think of top-tier chess players, they do not think of women.

It is a sexism thing, because there are great female chess players. Maia Chiburdanidze, Judit Polgar, Pia Cramling... they DO exist. But it's true, the competitive chess world is dominated by males.

If you like chess, play chess. If you win, then nobody can argue with that.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Has it ever occurred to you that most women just aren't interested in playing chess? Sometimes the simplest answers are the only ones that make sense. Have fun making mountains out of molehills though.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.