Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 days ago

Do you think it's wrong that the one who cook can take slightly more than the others?

You made 13 American pancakes and have to divide with 4 people where three people get 3 while the one who cook take 4.

Please ignore "gender roles" that the breadwinner/elder male takes most, because that's not really the case for my family, but you cook and TREAT family members on the food.

• 5 days ago

No, that's not wrong. They did the work.

• 5 days ago

When I am the cook for a group I am also most likely the host of the group and serving myself more than my guests would be in very poor taste.

• 5 days ago

Why not just make enough so that everyone has an equal amount? Or just keep making until everyone is full?

• 6 days ago

If I am cooking the pancakes no worries.  Pancakes are probably the least favorite of the trio (pancakes, French Toast, waffles) so I would not have a problem "giving up" the odd one.  If I am a guest, same thing.  

If you make 13 you will really only have 12 to serve because the first one never is right or "presentation worthy" 

6 days ago

Everyone knows that the first pancake is a sacrifice to the god of pancakes, crepes and waffles because it's always a bit weird and often breaks.  The correct way to dispose of the sacrificial pancake after the ritual throwing of hands in the air and lamentations (i.e. adjusting the heat and the amount of greasing of the skillet) is for the cook to thoughtfully cram it into his or her mouth after ascertaining that the sacred syrup is still good.  Anything else sorely vexes the god of pancakes and similar batter dishes.

I think you're hung up on an odd detail and that this tradition in your familiy started with someone suffering from "martyritits."

• kswck2
    6 days ago

Does it really matter? Just eat what you want.