Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Why is it a crime in the United States to do drugs but it is not a crime to do alcohol?

Not recommending things like heroin and cocaine but I would also never recommend alcohol. Why is one OK and the other is not?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

"Do alcohol?"  Odd choice of words.

No one is saying using alcohol is okay.  It's an individual choice, a preference. You ARE aware of prohibition, right, and how well that worked out?

Alcohol has a billion dollar lobby.  That's part of the problem.

My father was an alcoholic, a diagnosed alcoholic.  You are aware it's a medical diagnosis, right?  I don't drink.  I'm afraid of alcohol.  That doesn't mean I try to tell other people how to live their lives.

• 2 months ago

Because one is legal and the other is not.  Heroin and cocaine are illegal street drugs - illegal to make, illegal to sell, illegal to purchase, illegal to make and illegal to have in your possession.  Alcohol is perfectly legal to make ourselves, sell (commercially, with a license), to purchase and have in our possession.  The former is very dangerous any way you look at it, anyway it is used.  Alcohol is not dangerous, provided it is not abused.  Anything can be abused.  Should we ban hammers because they can be misused - used to beat someone over the head and kill them?

• Squid
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is not illegal to do drugs.  That was a major Supreme Court case back in the 60's.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/370/66...

• TB12
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Alcohol has a multi-million dollar lobby and is typically the drug of choice among white males.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Daro
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The Feds passed an amendment to ban alcohol back in the 20s.

It was later repealed by another amendment so they no longer have jurisdiction.

Sence then the Fed gov. doesnt bother with amendments. They figured out it is easier to just trot out corrupt "judges" and have them tell a gullible and uneducated public that whatever laws congress passes are perfectly legal.

You can see what areas congress has jurisdiction over in art 1 sec 8 constitution: "powers of congress"

They haven bothered with amendments sence the 20th century .

BING search:

*** 18th amendmentThe 18th Amendment to the US Constitution was the “National Prohibition amendment.” It banned the manufacture, sale, and transportation of alcoholic beverages in the U.S. and its possessions. Contrary to common belief, it did not prohibit the purchase or consumption of alcohol. II.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Heroin and cocaine are more addictive and more dangerous in terms of a possible overdose. Marijuana, on the other hand, is not physically addictive and there is no possibility of overdose.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.