If your favorite Premier League player came out as gay, would it influence your loyalty toward the club ?

I am genuinely asking after I recently read during Pride Month (June) that there is a closeted player in Europe that is not ready to disclose his orientation. 

Besides, is there such a macho culture in the UK? At least in Canada, it's been long overcome. 

• F

Well football has made such a big thing about BLM but is not very forthcoming about gay players ( other than paying lip service to equality in general.

• CMD

No

this is here because saying No is not enoughfor YA

No it wouldn't influence my loyalty to the club. As long as they perform on the pitch, I really don't care!

• August

I don't think Leeds United have any gay players and i certainly don't log onto Pride in England. I personally think the home fans would keep quiet but the AWAY fans would tear him to pieces and destroy his self belief. Best to keep quite,sorry 

• snafu

No.  The club is always bigger than any one player.  

Why players choose not to come out is they’re more likely to be worried it’ll affect relationships with teammates, manager and owners more than supporters.  Sure fans can really rip into a player on the terraces.  But generally the threat comes from those who control careers.  Rugby has shown it can cope with gay players, football can and should do the same.

There's nothing to gain from coming out, everybody in gay countries like Canada & UK will stay loyal anyway, but you'll lose fans and financial opportunities outside Europe in places like Asia which is a gigantic market. There's nothing to be gained because it will only be positively received in the West, and even there some will be against it.

• Not at all; if anything I'd probably respect him for having the courage to come out given the culture is, at best, terrible (we don't even have a single 'out' NHLer despite years of work from groups like You Can Play, and I know for a fact that there are several gay players in the NHL).  The problem is that unless said player is a star player (like a DeBruyne/Salah level 'star'), he probably fears he'll get released/waived from the club or stood down.  It shouldn't matter, but it's 2020 and you still have the same mentality among a large population of fans and people 'inside' the game who can't fathom that a gay player might actually be great at playing the beautiful game.

• ?

Weird how all these people are so obsessed about a footballers sexuality maybe they are all the gay ones who are afraid to come out and need a high profile footballer to inspire them

Not at all you wouldn't be a real supporter of that team