Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How do you get over picking up dog poo?

I want a dog more than anything in the world and always have. But the thought picking up poo makes me wretch. 

I use a shovel and everyday I go out and scoop it up. Most times my dog will follow me and almost point it out. It keeps the fly's away, don't worry about stepping in it, and I can see if my dog is healthy. You wouldn't want to walk around your house in people poop.

• jean

think of the dog as your baby. They do have pooper scoopers u can buy at pet stores

• keerok

If you don't want to pick up dog poo, don't get a dog.

OR

Get a house with a really large yard, fenced all over, and not worry about picking up poo ever.

If you can’t bear the thought of picking up dog poop, don’t get a dog.

Right now I have two dogs and just spent a few minutes picking up the last few days of poop.  I try to do it more often, ideally daily, but right now I’m working 60-70 hours a week (yes, during Covid, I work in flooring sales and project management and it’s CRAZY right now, everyone is sitting at home deciding to get projects around the house done while they are at home).

Years ago I had FIVE dogs, figure three poops a day per dog minimum and add up how many poops you pick up a year, and it’s MIND BOGGLING.

And it’s RETCH, as in TO BARF, not WRETCH as in POOR SOUL.

There are dog poo picker uppers.

Getting a dog is a lot of responsibility. You have to take care of and pick up everything to ensure their safety and health. Just part of owning an animal. The benefits to me, however, far outweigh the little nasties that come with ownership. Yeah, I have to pick up my pup's poo and clean the litter box, but the cuddles, the purs, the stupid, silly stuff they do that makes me smile is worth it. And I get THAT much more often. Picking up poop is 2-3 minutes, if that, out of my day. 

So far, I have cleaned up my cat's butt (long hair cat), picked up hairballs, cat poop and pee, dog poop, both dog and cat vomit, blood, and just recently, my dog had a nasty bout of conjunctivitis (all clear now!). I have cleaned off dirt, mud, slobber, checked scabs and minor scrapes, clipped nails, cleaned out ears, and pulled out God knows what from my dog's mouth (whatever he gets into in the backyard, the little nut). THIS is ownership, but it's also NOT 24/7. All this has happened in the course of 4 years, and you don't even want to know what I endured when I was a kid up until my teens with my brother's bugs and reptiles, dude. 

You have to do it. All of it. And be prepared for it. If you can't get past poop, I'm afraid owning any animal is not for you.  

Retching is okay,  just think of the new parents of a new born baby.  Many a mom & dad retch when changing diapers.  There are lots of things in life that can cause us to retch.  It is part of owning a dog.  You will get used to it, just like the new moms & dads with an infant.

There are all kinds of things you can use to pick it up.  Pooper scoopers of all kinds.  You wouldn't even need to touch it.

Obviously not ready to be a dog owner yet.

You grow up some and act your age  instead of vour shoesize put simply 

• Expat

Don’t get a dog. Look, if it bugs you that much, get a small dog. Their poop isn’t big and if you feed it only a very high quality dry dog food the poop will mostly be firm and not too stinky. Also, when you love your dog you just really don’t mind.