Sassy asked in PetsCats · 1 week ago

Is it normal for a cat to kill a fly?

This is my first time owning a cat. My 1 year old cat caught and killed a fly. Is that normal?

• 6 days ago

Normal. My guy once leapt off the back of the couch & caught a fly in mid air. He is a good boy.

• 6 days ago

Yes, cats are natural hunters

• 6 days ago

Yes, it is normal

• Ocimom
    1 week ago

Very normal.  But be careful the cat is not chasing or catching bees/wasps.

• Dave
    1 week ago

Cats instinctively kill (and sometimes eat) anything smaller.  I had a kitten once, and he caught and ate a fly.

• 1 week ago

Indeed it is normal. It's a completely normal cat behavior, because it's just down to them acting on their natural predatory instincts.

While people think of cats chasing after mice, or possibly birds, they can also chase other animals too, like flies, moths and spiders.

1 week ago

My cats kill and eat all manner of insects including flies. 

.

We bought an old country house ages ago that was infested with spiders. Before we took possession the old couple next door opened the house for us and locked their cats on there for a week with nothing but water. The cats cleaned out all the spiders.

1 week ago

Yes it is normal. They will catch and kill anything that moves. I met a stray cat inside a regional park once. It was very friendly and it was apparently someone's pet. It was following me as I hiked, and I saw it catch insects on the fly with its paw and ate it. I also had a kitten that lived in my backyard, and it would do the same by swiping flying insects with its paw. It also dipped its paw in the water while drinking. I thought he was a lovable weirdo but it turns out it is common for cats to cool themselves off by dipping their paws in water. They have sweat glands there also.

• 1 week ago

Yep. Some cats like bugs. My mom has a cat that loves spiders. He will play with them for a bit and then eat them. 

1 week ago

yes it's normal