Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 weeks ago

Is it a bad idea for a single mom to travel with her one year old son to meet his dad?

My baby’s dad lives out of state and he wants me and my son to fly out there so he can meet his son. My parents think it’s a bad idea because they don’t feel safe with me and him traveling alone and being somewhere totally different 

• car253
    1 week ago

Your parents are right.  i don't care about he Virus.    You do not know the laws of the other state when it comes to parent rights.   What if he claims you cannot take the kid back home to your state.   unless you know your rights in the other state, i would not do it.    your parents are right for being cautious.    let the dad come to you if he wants to see his kid.    

• 1 week ago

The baby is with you, his birth mom, no matter where you travel.  Maybe your parents are just afraid you will leave them to live with or nearer the baby's dad, so reassure them.  I traveled with my baby frequently, and had tremendous fun showing this little girl all the miracles life has to offer.  I even took her to the world's fair in New Orleans by train, and to Chicago, both by train. Follow your maternal instincts.  I do agree with the responders who caution about avoiding COVID, so maybe you should insist that the baby's dad come to where you are---a place where you have more control over the situation.  

• 1 week ago

Not until this Covid 19 thing finish, if the father is that interested in meeting his kid, he should be the one doing the travel, and when the risk for your baby is zero.

• Ocimom
    1 week ago

I don't see why not.  Take precautions and wear a face mask.  Call your parents after you land and let them know you are safe.  Also let them know where you will be staying.

Why not ...unless the baby daddy is a weirdo.

How old are you ? If mom is worried because you're young,,, Maybe she go with you or have the daddy come to you ?

Good Luck 

• Foofa

It's not a great idea for anyone to be traveling right now unless it's absolutely mandatory. 

Nope, repeated anonymous trolls posts are the most obvious kind imaginable. Seriously, if trolling is how you need to spend your time, put some effort into it. 

I'm opposed to the idea of you and the child being alone w/ him. Think about safety and have fun. Pistol,. Mace, Pepper spray. Be friendly but careful. And if you are armed .... know your weapon of self defense.

What are the other details?

Why can't the father come to see you?

Who is paying for the travel?

Where will you and the child stay when you arrive?

It is a LOT of work and expense to travel and stay somewhere with a 1-year-old.  It also exposes you and the child to a lot of places and people, which isn't a great idea during a pandemic.

It seems to me that if the baby daddy (not your husband or boyfriend even) wants to see the child and hasn't a year, he can and should do the traveling.  If he doesn't care enough to come to you , he doesn't care enough for you to do the work to go see him.

• Murzy

Why doesn't he fly to see you and his son?