Nicholas asked in EnvironmentConservation · 2 months ago

Do disc golf disc retrievers destroy the ecosystem?

I was told that i shouldn't use a disc retriever to get my disc out of a water hazard because it will destroy the fish and wildlife ecosystem. I was also told that i could also be charged with vandalism for using one at parks. Is this at all true? I'd think just general public fishing would do more harm than this thing. 

Favorite Answer

It depends. If the water hazard had trout in it (VERY unlikely), maybe. If there were no fish in it, no damage, except, maybe, to some bottom-dwelling insects. If the fish are bullhead catfish, carp, or goldfish, they stir up the bottom when feeding far more than you would and you would probably not be able to see your golf ball on the bottom.

• martin

It seems a bit much.  Conservationists sometimes turn into religious zealots.

• Expat

No. There’s no reason they should be considered harmful to the environment. Unless we’re thinking of different things. A retriever looks like nothing more than a pole with a device at the end you can sort of grab the disc, right?