Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Old People: I was born in 1977. What was the purpose of the incredibly long, wood panel station wagon with a gigantic V-8 engine?

My 91 year old neighborhood, who took incredibly good care of his cars (he used to be a TV repairman, and could fix ANYTHING) can no longer drive. He offered to swap me his 1985 Pontiac Parisienne wagon for the next Covid check. I would only use it as an emergency vehicle. He doesn't need it because he can't drive any more. A/C works great, it has towing package and chrome luggage rack. I think he would feel better if he could still see it every day. 

"Mine had the big block 460cid. Some kid with an IROC Camaro tried to race me. He lost."  HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! 460!!!!   OMG!!!  And you know what you are talking about.  This wagon has "only" a 350 cubic inch engine.

• Anton
    Favorite Answer

" I think he would feel better if he could still see it every day. "

-- since he is letting go it at half what is worth, probably would enjoy you driving it.

Full size wagons were for bigger families.  In the late '80's thru the late '90's I had a '78 LTD,  Carried three kids in the back with plenty room.  Mine had the big block 460cid.  Some kid with an IROC Camaro tried to race me.  He lost.  Fun times.  That '85 was still large, but doesn't have a "gigantic" V8 --  the Big Block V8s were no longer available.  Your Pontiac will have either a 307cid or 350cid small block V8.

That one of the many 80's gay cars along with the Miata and Chrysler Sebring. It figures.