Isabel
Isabel asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 2 months ago

I’m bad at math. Can I still study economics?

You'll have trouble I think. 

It depends on what you mean by "bad at math" but if you want to progress beyond 100-level courses, you'll need to at least have a decent understanding of calculus-level math.

I just got my M.S. in applied economics. I joke that "I'm good at math until there are no longer any numbers" - meaning as soon as it's entirely symbols I struggle. I was definitely challenged in Macro-, Micro-, and Econometrics, with the math. 

I don't know as the math I faced was really that sophisticated compared to an actual math major or engineering, but for me it was a challenge, as I haven't really had much advanced math instruction. I had to basically learn some of the math at the same time as I was learning the economics, which made it a lot of work. It would have been easier if I had a stronger base in math ahead of time. 

• John

Yes.

although you might have to take more time grasping some underlying theories.  

Economics is about supply and efficiency of work.  

• Oiy

No, even the best economic historian in this country like Prof Wolff can play around with data. You won’t have a chance to pass more than 101.

Ha ha. Yes. Economics is anti-math.