How could an adult who spells at a 6th grade level and can’t hold their pencil correctly end up in a graduate program doing research oversea?

How did they get so far with such poor spelling? They appear uneducated 

The same way an adult who's illiterate with the  mental capacity and attention span of a 6 year old can be president, I would say.

FAILING SCHOOLS BELOW  GET OBSCURED BY LOWERING STANDARDS,EDUOCRACIES' WAYS OF HIDING THEIR FAILURE TO TEACH BASICS

• Bill

One of the greatest scientists, and intellects, of all time, Feynman, got the highest marks ever seen in physics and math (100% in both) and the lowest marks ever seen in humanities on his Princeton PhD entrance exam.   His writing was sloppy, and was a terrible speller, as I am.   The things you mention are not necessarily an indication of ability in other areas.   I was thought by a HS school guidance officer to have to go to a school for those who could not handle a regular school, (called where I am opportunity school) despite having taught myself calculus at 13, because my writing was sloppy and I was a bad speller.   Fortunately my science and math teachers stood up for me (plus things my parents did there is no need to go into), but it left me traumatised and doubting myself so I did not go to university after HS.   It took me a few years to get my confidence back and went.   I got straight honours in a math/computer science degree and was a finalist for the top science student.  There is this thing called left right brain dominance - look it up.

• D50

The inability to spell or hold a pencil properly is seen by many of us as a sure sign of inadequate education, since we saw the slowest kids in our own school classes fail at that. If you read the comments on newspaper web pages, though, you will see that no one can spell (and spell-checkers only make it worse) and if you see any schoolkids on TV you will see that they all hold their pencils in their fists. I assume the teachers are too dim or uncaring to notice. That's just the way it is today. Let's hope the inference we make about such unskilled people is wrong and that they're not as unintelligent as they seem. They will run the world that supports us in our old age.

I cannot spell do Grandma or Punctuate

But i can defuse an IED Fitt the egress system to a FA18 Hornet and teach EOD

and I earned My Associate Diploma in Ordnance Engineering

and still cannot spell Grammarly does that for Me

I did own A 220Sb Mercedes Benz 1964 which i rebuild from the Front Number plate to the Rear Over riders including Rebuilding the engine its first long trip 2,500 Miles and only Broke the hand Brake cable and had to use a Brick when parking But did Make a Temporary cable from parts from a Hardware store worked so well i never replaced it for Months

Note i worked in 7 Muslim countries teaching their Military and i still cannot spell but the Money was good

• Lili

Poor spelling isn't an indication of intelligence or lack of it. And holding a pencil in a certain way is totally irrelevant to intelligence.

I hold a PhD and did my dissertation research overseas.  Most of my grad school classmates did research abroad, too. I spell quite well, but I had a couple of classmates who didn't.  It was something of a joke.  However, they were both very, very intelligent. One is now a professor at a very well-known university, and the other is a curator at a museum.  Both of them have published books.  They now have editors to correct their spelling.

• fcas80

Word processing software does spell check.  Graduate research is done on the computer, not with a pencil.  Most likely there was no admissions requirement to write an essay in correctly spelled English.  It is certainly possible.  

• drip

Poor spelling can be a learning disability. Like dyslexia or dyspraxia.  It has nothing to do with the person intelligence.  

My daughter can not hold a pencil correctly, never has. Her handwriting is poor. She can’t ride a bike at all. She graduated HS with honors and the math award for the school and graduated college *** laude with a major and two minors. Both my son and I can not spell well. We don’t hear sounds. Phonics doesn’t help us. We have trouble with learning a foreign language and with learning music. We both read fast and have high comprehension. But if we come across a word or name we are not familiar with it is hard for us to figure out the correct pronunciation spelling is done by repeatedly spelling out the same word , memorization or learning tricks. Significant. Is - sign if I can’t.   

Don’t be so quick to judge.

• martin

When it comes to some subjects, linguistic and academic strengths are only secondary.  For example, spelling is secondary to understanding tech, programming, and hardware.

They usually have to have reached a certain level of literacy to become accepted on an undergraduate course. Unfortunately that standard is not especially high. If the work they are producing is valid it is not normally an issue.