Employer forgot to cancel health insurance?

I left my previous job in late March. My insurance with them is still showing as active and has been used by my pharmacy and Dr up to just a couple weeks ago. This wasn't intentional, I put my new insurance on file, but they defaulted to my prior employers.

My former employer is a non-profit, disorganized, and incompetent. Is it possible they forgot to cancel? Should I be worried that they'll came after me for money? I have instructed my health providers to NOT use that insurance moving forward. 

Now that you know there was a mistake you need to do your best to correct it.   If you just let it slide then that could be considered theft.   

If you gave the pharmacy and doc your new insurance info, then you did all that you could and all you needed to do.  If they come after you, which they shouldn't, ask them why they are refusing to file a claim with your new insurance company, which info you gave to them when your insurance changed.  Tell them to figure it out.  You are only responsible for any portion owing under your current policy.

They'll cancel it retroactively and the claims will be reversed and you'll owe under the new policy.  You'll have to ask the provider to reprocess and you shoud do that now and not wait.

Yes, it's very likely that the insurance will be cancelled retroactively.

Your new coverage will then pick up the bills, but you may have to manage the process.