How to find out why a car has a Salvage Title? ?

Car is a VW TDI Jetta 2010

It has 275k miles which is alot. 

He wants $3900 but i think he is absolutely insane. Im going to offer $1,500 does that sound correct ? 

• ?
    Favorite Answer

generally it was totalled by insurance, then a junkyard etc fixed and sold it .. and pricing depends on the condition its in .. miles really dont tell you much by themselves ..

WHY IT HAS IT? ASK HIM.    IT could be because the airbags blew off when an old lady hit the bumper with her handbag full of bricks. Insurance will total a vehicle for just that reason. Airbags are expensive to replace.

Insurance wrote it off but if you get a logical excuse from the owner then it may mean nothing.    He can only repair it out of his own pocket. Some will do that as car repair is a hobby.

.   He will get his $3900 or very close to it. YOU are a waste of his time.

• M.

Get the ID of the car, including VIN and ask at your DMV what it means.  We don't have all those different kinds of titles in my state. 

I would guess that the car had been in a bad collision and was "totalled" by the insurance company, then somebody repaired it. 

So beware it may be a bent or structurally unsafe car.  See if all the tires are centered in the wheelwells and maybe have somebody follow you on a test drive to see if the car tracks straight. 

Lack of cooperation by the seller often shows that he's hiding something and he hopes that you don't see it. 

I looked up a salvage title in CA because I know they have a complex car system.  Here's what it says: 

"You'll turn in your old salvage certificate for a new California title. The new title will be identical to a non-salvage vehicle title except it will indicate the vehicle has been revived from salvage." 

So you could repair a totalled/scrap car and get it on the road again. 

But check with YOUR DMV.  Don't listen to the seller.  

I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it. 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

If you do not get any answers, TROLL and TROLL again.

I would not buy it at any price.  

The exhaust system alone will cost you $1200, You can't use after market converters on a VW.

That's a lot of miles for a VW anything.  I looked it up on Kb...something went wrong and I couldn't get a price.  A salvage title knocks down the value quite a bit (Try a VIN search).  $1500 if you've got a lot a lot of time and truly like the car.  I don't know...I'd walk away.

I wouldn't offer him a penny if you plan on driving the vehicle it's almost impossible to get a vehicle with a salvage title on the road and salvage title means that you own the car and it's currently unsafe to drive so you're selling it for parts. To get a regular title you're going to have to take the vehicle and have it inspected and you're going to have to have statements from mechanics that say that the vehicle is safe to drive on the road it's not worth it

Ask the previous owner.

ask him .......................................................