Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 week ago

Do you look down on adults who live with their parents?

If a woman is 24 and still lives at home, is that too old? Why or why not? 

It seems like there's a stigma attached to young adults living at home.

• 1 week ago

It depends why she's still living at home. As other people have said theres plenty of valid reasons someone would live with their parents well into adulthood- to save money while they go back to school/pursue another goal, caring for a sick parent, lost their home during a recession, cultural norms. But if they're just mooching off their parents, then yes I look down on those people 

• 1 week ago

No... There is nothing wrong with an adult child living with their parents ...UNLESS they are sucking the life outta the parents and not paying them rent or helping out in some way 

• 1 week ago

Of course not.  There can be many valid reasons for someone at that age or even older to still be living at home with their parents.  People shouldn't be judged for something like that.  You have no idea the circumstances surrounding it.

• 1 week ago

There are many valid and wise reasons for young adults to reside with parents or even grandparents, hiding behind anonymous.  It is practical, for one thing---especially during economic downturns or recession.  Keep in mind that the parents are capable of making their own decisions, and so is the adult child.  It's nobody's business but theirs.

• sarah
    1 week ago

If they're living at home with no job, not going to college, and have no plans to better themselves in the near future...yes, I kind of do look down on them.

BUT if they're in college or working and saving up money for their own place, that's a totally different story. I know lots of people (myself included) who did that, and I see nothing wrong with it. To me, it's better for them to live at home and save money to be able to BUY a house than to move out and fritter away money to rent a place they won't be living long-term.

• 1 week ago

In China and Japan it is normal to live with parents until married. Sometimes they never marry and take on families houses. I learned this from a friend in Japan. met online on a game and he thought it was weird that Americans move out and not save money. 

• 1 week ago

These days, that's fine, although I'd be going crazy living with my parents at age 24.

• 1 week ago

Only a 35 year old unmarried living in mom's basement.

• 1 week ago

I look down on those who live at home so they can spend their money on gaming, then have kids and have grandma raise them. From the other side, you can't demand to be treated as an adult if you cannot provide for yourself. I understand that life is hard and what not, but, part of growing up is finding your own way.

1 week ago

I don't think there is anything wrong, for an adult to live with his, or her parents, but eventually the adult is going to be on his, or her own, and I suspect according to what you said the adult won't be able to continue to survive without his, or her parents.

If an adult is living with his, or her parents then I think he, or she

should be ---> TRYING <---- to get to a point where he, or she can somehow survive on his, or her own.

If the 24 year old woman thinks everything is going to go in her favor then she is wrong. A lazy b/i/t/c/h won't be able to survive in this world enough said!

If the parents are fine with their adult kids living at home then it's ok, but not all parents might be fine with their adult kids still living at home in their adult years.

I am a male by the way.