Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

My fried was mushy when I used this receipe. Is this a bad receipe ?

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/fried-rice-recipe/   

I’m so tired of making fried rice at home and it turning out bad I’ve made it at least 50 times and it’s always a mushy mess. It’s not nasty but it’s not as delicious as my favorite Japanese restaurant .. the receipe used better instead of oil so I’m thinking I should use olive oil instead. I use frozen peas and Carrots, sesame oil, kikkoman soy sauce, oyster sauce and salt and pepper. I literally followed the receipe to a T. I used jasmine rice 

If someone doesn’t give me some super helpful advice I’ll be forced to pay the $20 for one serving of rice at my Japanese restaurant 

Favorite Answer

First and foremost, the rice must be cooked correctly and then refrigerated overnight.  If the original steamed rice isn't right, the fried rice isn't going to come out well. The rice should not be sticky and or stuck together in clumps when you remove it from the refrigerator.  The individual grains of rice should separate easier.  

Second, the frozen carrots may have more liquid in them than a fresh/raw carrot.

If a dish is mushy, it is because there is too much liquid.  The rice can only absorb so much.  I would double check that you are using the right measurements and the right amount of heat. If the rice is fine, cut back on the other liquids.

Also, why not try a couple of different recipes, or at least compare the amounts of various ingredients to see if another recipe works better for you.  

I have a friend who is from Bangladesh. It's a southeastern Asian country. She has introduced me to different types of rice with different types of Asian and Indian foods. I myself asked her...how come I can never get my rice to be as good as the restaurants if I make it at home? 

She informed that most Asian and Indian restaurants use Basmati rice in their recipes. She said Americans really love it because it has a firmer texture even after being cooked and the rice grains separate from each other rather than being mushy and sticking together. 

Hope this helps...

• Jamie

Keeps going wrong ? Are you using ' day old rice ' ? You cook it the night before and leave it in the fridge until you need it the next day . I put a drop of sesame oil into the pan before I add the water and cook it  . You can do it , you just need cold ,dry rice .

You can't make good fried rice on an electric stove or without a cast iron wok. Your burners don't get hot enough. It's not the recipe, it's your equipment.

• kswck2

Cooking fried rice is not rocket science. First off, what Kind of rice are you using? Are you rinsing it ahead of time-Say Yes. What is the water to rice amounts you are using? What are you cooking it in-rice cooker, pot, pressure cooker? Are you using Day Old Rice-you should be. Are you using Frozen vegetables-Never-too much water content. What are you making the final dish in? A Wok? You should be. 

The problem is probably too much moisture in the dish and maybe your cooking technique. First, don't overcook the rice, or use too much water. With white rice use a 1:1 ratio in a pressure cooker, or 1.25 water to rice on the stovetop. Rinse the rice before you cook it, and try for al dente. Fluff it, then into the fridge.  On rice day, follow your recipe, making sure to cut the veggies small and pre-cook them until they are dry. You can't stir fry anything wet, it gets steamed. Finally, use a wok. The dish needs to be moved through the hot oil, and the whole thing needs to keep moving. My wok cost $11.00, is induction ready and is 12" in diameter. I would change the order of what goes in the skillet by scrambling an egg, adding the veggies and seasoning and finally adding the veggies. Throughout the cook time, keep everything moving. Hope this helps.

• I’d love to a check out a link to the restaurant menu so I can figure out how they can charge $20 for rice.

I know you aren't supposed to but I use minute rice with a teaspoon of olive oil thrown in while its cooking. not a problem sticking,

I can think of two things that might be going wrong for you.

1.  Are you using COLD RICE - rice that was cooked the day before or earlier in the day and allowed to get COMPLETELY COLD.

2.  STOP using frozen vegetables.  The frozen vegetables are adding a lot of moisture back into the dish and might be the reason you are not getting the texture you are looking for.  If you want to use frozen veggies, then allow them to thaw completely and place them in a strainer to air dry for several minutes before adding them to the rice.  Fresh veggies would be a better option.  

The recipe sounds fine.  

i dont think so