Can fractional shares become whole?

Sites like Acorns and Robinhod now sell fractional shares. Just as an example, if I wanted to get into BTC, it's selling at over $10,000 a share now. If I keep investing into it, assuming it doesn't break away from my investing in the short term, if I reached the price of a share, would I then own one share of just a bunch of fractions? Like if it were a regular stock if I hit the whole share amount could I get a stock certificate if I wanted one? 

• kswck2
    Favorite Answer

Sharebuilder used to do just that. But they were bought out, resold and it went away. The idea of fractional shares means you can buy a quantity of stock X, for say $100. If the stock sell for $85, you get 1.sometheming shares. If you do this every month, those fractional shares will become whole shares, the more you buy. it is a good savings tool. 

Companies haven't issued paper certificates regularly since the 1960s. Buying stock shares gets you a book entry with the brokerage, which has a book entry at the Depository Trust, which directly owns the shares.

You would eventually have 1 or more shares. Nobody gets stock certificates and they cost so that would be idiotic.