Why shouldn't i be way too overly sure that ghosts, spirits and the afterlife never existed?

Why should i not immediately conclude (straight away) that there is no such thing as ghosts and the afterlife?

Update:

Why should i not be way too overly certain that ghosts never existed?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

You can never prove that something doesn't exist. You should let the evidence guide your beliefs.

• 2 months ago

There has never been a shred of real evidence for any of that stuff, so the logical approach in to not accept such rubbish as being true. I see Michael Shitass  is on his usual tirade. The majority of people have average IQs, so the minority of geniuses know a whole lot more than the dumb majority. Most people believe all kinds of crap. The media thinks for them, so they believe such mule crap as ghosts and spirits exist, there's an afterlife, Bruce Lee was the greatest martial artist in history, Arnold Schwarzenegger was the greatest bodybuilder of all time, Muhammad Ali was the greatest boxer in history, Rolex is the costliest and best watch brand, Glock is the best pistol brans and other such rubbish. MS has it reversed. If everybody was like him, there'd be no airplanes, radio, TV, etc. He is a denialist of truth, reason and objectivity. Tom lies between MS and me. He claims there is some unexplained phenomena, but there's no evidence of that. I recall he said he's a Methodist, and that handicaps him in science. 

• 2 months ago

That is up to you.... no one else can decide what u believe to be true. 

• Megumi
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

There has never been any genuine evidence for them, so the obvious and logical conclusion is that they have never existed. Michael Shotgun uses Appeal to Popularity that is a logical fallacy. None of these people he cites offers any genuine evidence. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You are talking about things that are believed by 80% of the population. They are believed because the sheer amount of witnesses rises every year. If the minority wish to simply blame the wind, Venus, or seagulls rather than admit that all is not what it seems, then let them. The same people have been there throughout time and have tried their damndest to talk people out of their beliefs. If we had taken notice, there would be no flight, no radio or tv, no trains or cars as travelling over 40 MPH would suffocate you, no telephone and for good reason. Who can talk to someone over a mile away without even shouting HAHAHA! People have been put to death for their beliefs by the same minority. They are called denialists, people who are afraid of life and all it entails. Which way you want to go is up to you, as long as you don't try to turn others minds.

EDIT! Yes Magumi  I used to do the same thing with my teacher's names when I only had the same mentality as you but I grew up.

EDIT! if you see people on here who try to twist your name like a child would, you know you are talking to infants. Bless their little hearts. 

• Tom
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You have to realize that "ghosts" and "Spirits", "Demons", etc. originated as SPECULATIVE explanations of common phenomena that people encountered and not could not explain in the Pre-Scientific age.--Either "Spirits did it" or it WAS a "Spirit"-----of the dead or otherwise.

As Science progressed, we began to, one by one better, explain what was going on, and "Spirits" were not needed.

Today it is very rare to encounter phenomena that our Science has not explained already.----But of course, our Science has not explained EVERYTHING yet, so we are bound, from time to time, to encounter some event that STILL cannot be explained.----So what do we do when this happens?---Unfortunately, we fall back to our old human habits of explaining what we cannot yet explain with our Ancient "Standbys" of "Ghosts and Spirits", etc.

But what is the correct way to deal with them?  Many skeptics, uneducated on the finer points of Science, simply choose to IGNORE them---Why not?, they are so rare as not to matter in day to day or less often, life.---Or apply some "Catch-all" "Explanation"--"Hey, it was a "Hallucination" or a hoax-----even though it does not properly account for ALL that was observed.---Good enough!---The lazy man's answer.-----Perhaps so----BUT any good explanation MUST account for MOST if not ALL of what was observed.

Of course, in many cases, SOMETHING REAL WAS observed.  We just do not know what it was. Of course, no serious Scientist entertains that it actually WAS a "Ghost" or "Spirit".  AND we do NOT accept the concept of "Paranormal or Supernatural"----Anything that is real HAS to be NATURAL, as we acknowledge only one reality.

A Scientist will admit simply "We do not know what it is--It is unknown"---And try to study it should the opportunity present itself.  A Non-thinking "Skeptic" will often fall victim to the logic error----If Ghosts and spirits don't exist, then NEITHER do the unknown phenomena people see and REPORT as "Ghosts"----Suggesting the skeptic may be hung up on the explanation, rather than was actually observed---a kind of BIAS  rather than a serious attempt for answers.

The Scientist is more interested in WHAT was actually observed rather than some ancient speculations.  We do not ACCEPT "Supernatural" entities or "explanations"---we can only take what was observed, and try to fit different theories to it---Usually favoring the ones that explain the MOST about the event---- And hopefully test them.  And honestly admitting aspects we still do not know about YET.  We can look for clues, like the light color (if any) changes in temperature, electric fields, etc.  Above ALL we do NOT propose a definitive EXPLANATION.---Only "we don't know yet".---And No, the question of "Ghosts and Spirits" is NOT open----we are dealing with NATURAL forces we simply DON'T Know about yet. 

Megumi--I agree, Ghosts likely do not exist as per your reasoning--no evidence. BUT I would say natural  Phenomena exist that people erroneously CALL "ghosts" and that is what they actually see (Like lights, shadows and stuff they cant explain)  so they USE "Ghosts" as an explanation for what they saw.   You just cant say "there was nothing there" in many cases---SOMETHING made the person THINK he had seen a "Ghost"---The goal of scientific study is to determine what the "Something" was. any theory will have to account for multiple witnesses.

• Dr. NG
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Overly sure seems a redundant phrase. For your purposes "virtually sure" fits better. An open-minded investigation into ghosts can lead you to be virtually sure they do not exist, but in the end, that is an opinion. Based on the best available evidence but still..... I would say that same thing about any afterlife as well.

• 2 months ago

"'Suppose there is a hereafter and there is a fruit, result, of deeds done well or ill. Then it is possible that at the dissolution of the body after death, I shall arise in the heavenly world, which is possessed of the state of bliss.' This is the first solace found by him. 

"'Suppose there is no hereafter and there is no fruit, no result, of deeds done well or ill. Yet in this world, here and now, free from hatred, free from malice, safe and sound, and happy, I keep myself.' This is the second solace found by him."

- the Buddha (quoted in Kalama Sutra)

If you find your traveling through a dark tunnel and encountering a being of light who shows you a review of your life, you might not be sure whether or not it's an hallucination, but you could say, out of curiosity, "You seem to know a lot. Any suggestions?" If it is hallucination, you can take this opportunity to pause and reflect, and gain insights that could be useful if you survive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.