Are regardless and irrespective interchangeable synonyms?

Or should one be used in place of other? I tend to find myself using “irrespective” more than “regardless” but does it make a difference?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • D50
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

All I ask is that you stay away from "irregardless".

• 2 months ago

"Regardless" is more common, and can also be used without an object if it's at the end of a sentence.

"Irrespective" is perfectly correct too, but must be followed by an object.

Regardless of the dreadful weather, they decided to set off across the mountains.  Irrespective of the weather, they decided to set off across the mountains.

Alternatively:

The weather was dreadful but they decided to set off across the mountains regardless.

BUT you can't use "irrespective" in that position.

• RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They could be, but the context is important.

• 2 months ago

I find both of these are way over-used and often misused, so I would recommend using alternative words to give the intended idea.  However, generally speaking, regardless (without regard/consideration) and irrespective (makes no difference, matters not at all so we won't even consider it here) are effectively the same ideas in most uses.  A way to say "that thing does not matter here", or "I choose to ignore that thing as having any importance for the issue under discussion".

I acknowledge that the thing exists, but I say it does not matter because the following is true whether or not that thing exists.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Regardless is more readily understood.

• 2 months ago

Yes it is a suitable synonym for regardless only if you are using it correctly to mean without regard to something or someone. 

Source(s): [US ARMY] -BSBA Supply Chain Management- MA HRM
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.