Are regardless and irrespective interchangeable synonyms?

Or should one be used in place of other? I tend to find myself using “irrespective” more than “regardless” but does it make a difference?

• D50

All I ask is that you stay away from "irregardless".

"Regardless" is more common, and can also be used without an object if it's at the end of a sentence.

"Irrespective" is perfectly correct too, but must be followed by an object.

Regardless of the dreadful weather, they decided to set off across the mountains.  Irrespective of the weather, they decided to set off across the mountains.

Alternatively:

The weather was dreadful but they decided to set off across the mountains regardless.

BUT you can't use "irrespective" in that position.

• RP

They could be, but the context is important.

I find both of these are way over-used and often misused, so I would recommend using alternative words to give the intended idea.  However, generally speaking, regardless (without regard/consideration) and irrespective (makes no difference, matters not at all so we won't even consider it here) are effectively the same ideas in most uses.  A way to say "that thing does not matter here", or "I choose to ignore that thing as having any importance for the issue under discussion".

I acknowledge that the thing exists, but I say it does not matter because the following is true whether or not that thing exists.

• martin

Regardless is more readily understood.

Yes it is a suitable synonym for regardless only if you are using it correctly to mean without regard to something or someone. 

Source(s): [US ARMY] -BSBA Supply Chain Management- MA HRM