Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Have you ever followed the procedure in Matthew 18:15-17 to rebuke a sinner, and the sinner never repented?

I’m facing a situation with a fellow church member who sinned and harmed me (and others).  I let him know of his sins (including providing him a Bible verse with respect to one of them) and another Christian and I have tried to harmoniously resolve the situation with him.  He says that he will not discuss anything further with us, and he says that he is going to sue me (to get me to back off).

Matthew 18:15-17 says that the next step is to have the church address things with him, so I plan to give a list of the sins to the church’s governing body (without mentioning his name) and ask him if he will discuss his behavior with the church.

If he refuses to do so, Matthew 18:15-17 says that I am to treat him as a heathen and a tax collector.  I don’t view that as saying that I can hold a grudge against him, but I would just consider him a non-believer and would just hope that he would at some point eventually repent.

Has anyone followed the Matthew 18:15-17 procedure before and still had the sinner remain sinful and ignoring the church?  If so, did the person eventually come clean?

Thanks.

If you are not Christian and have never dealt with a sinner, while I wish you the best and wish God’s blessings upon you, please note that I am looking for answers to my specific question above only.  Thanks.

I already went through extensive discussions with the person.  I am not Jehovah’s Witness.  The Bible has a specific procedure to follow to address sin.  Thanks, and I’ll look forward to someone answering my specific question above.

Favorite Answer

As with any doctrine of Christ (Hebrews 6:1-3) God set His principles in the Old Testament (Jeremiah 6:16-19) 

As He did for "baptism" in Exodus 13:21 when the children of Israel were baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea" (I Corinthians 10:1-2) and were "lead by THE CLOUD" as in Holy Spirit baptism Who (John 1:33) "guides us into all truth" (John 16:13) TODAY!As He did with a Holy Eucharist or equivalent when our "examples" (I Corinthians 10:11) "Ate Spiritual meat and drank Spiritual drink" (I Corinthians 10:3-4).Likewise when "There are two or three witnesses [Scriptures too] the Word is established" In the Old Testament when God's principle was set for the doctrine of Christ as in a court of law, the principle for treating a sinner was set in Deuteronomy 19 saying 11 "...If any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities;[Like they do on Y/A]12 Then the elders of his city shall send and fetch him thence, and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.13 Thine eye shall not pity him, but thou shalt put away the guilt of innocent blood from Israel, that it may go well with thee.14 Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the land that the Lord thy God giveth thee to possess it.15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.16 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong;17 Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the Lord, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days;18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.20 And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you.21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot" (Deuteronomy 19:11-21).NOW the principle for men judging a sinner has been set by God and if a man lies on another falsely accusing, the same thing that they thought the alleged sinner should get would be done unto him.Then we come to what Jesus said in Matthew 18:15-17 saying15 "Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."But bear in mind what Jesus said in Matthew 18:11-14 saying11 "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. 12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? 13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray. 14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish."Jesus came to "fulfill the law" (Matthew 5:17-18) killing people physically rather saving you spiritually who is already spiritually dead (Romans 5:12-14; I Corinthians 15:21-22) and therefore needs to be quickened back to life and "born again of the spirit" (John 3:5-7).NOW we come to Paul who "fulfilled the Word of God" (Colossians 1:25) because 15 "..for this cause He is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. 16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. 17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth" (Hebrews 9:15-17).Therefore after Jesus died, Paul said on the matter in I Corinthians 13:1-8 1 "This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. 2 I told you before, and foretell you, as if I were present, the second time; and being absent now I write to them which heretofore have sinned, and to all other, that, if I come again, I will not spare: 3 Since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you. 4 For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you. 5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? 6 But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates. 7 Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates. 8 For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth" Do you see Paul being "longsuffering" but becoming ANGRY after telling them three times saying "I WILL NOT SPARE YOU" and "the Word was established?"Paul didn't kick them out but "edified" them (Ephesians 4:11-15) with the Word of God (Galatians 1:12) saying 20 "But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. 27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way" (I Corinthians 12:10-31)!Does Jesus "KICK US OUT" after you've become a "member of the body of Christ" (I Corinthians 12:11-12) with the prerequisite of Holy Spirit baptism (I Corinthians 12:13)?When Jesus came and FULFILLED THE LAW (Matthew 5:17-18) there was no more of that PHYSICAL STUFF for we deal with "principalities" and "not flesh and blood against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" in order to "fight the wiles of the devil" (Ephesians 6:10-12)((BUT))) these FOOLS ain't got NO POWER (Acts 1:5; 8)!Why do you think they're taking over even on Y/A?

Source(s): THUS SAITH THE LORD! "REPENT" FROM YOUR POWERLESS TRINITY-WATER BAPTISM DOCTRINE! CATHOLIC DOCTRINE! LET MY PEOPLE GO!
  • thesun

Turn the other cheek and get on with your life..

• Nicole

If this person did something to harm you, why don't you just sit down and have a real conversation with him?  Tell him how he hurt you and be open and vulnerable.  Try not to make it angry and confrontational.  It sounds like this situation has already escalated, and there might not be any way to resolve things, but just being real and open with people instead of trying to follow a list of rules might offer you more success in any future encounters.

• Aaron

No since I don't follow that old book. I'm a good person myself with needing rules and guidance from men who lived centuries ago. Many Christians seem to need leading like sheep though and are the biggest"sinners" (as they put it) on this Earth.

Remember you are a mere mortal on Earth as we all are. You are a free spirit and each of us are responsible for our own actions. Whether good or bad. No old books, religions, or gods needed. Just believe in yourself.