What's your favourite kind of steak?

Favorite Answer

I love a New York porterhouse....nothing can compare with that.

• John P

I gave up eating beef four years ago because of the environmental damage of beef rearing.  Cows are the most environmentally damaging of all farm animals.

• Bone-in: Tomahawk rib-eye

Boneless: Flat iron (i.e. butcher's steak), skirt steak, tri-tip when I can find it.

I like a good gammon steak.

Porterhouse or filet mignon.

Ribeye or Serloin

tomahawk med rare

• F

T bone.........

• Alyce

A nice Ribeye, usually.  Often what is more important than what cut - is the grade of beef. Gading beef usually involves checking to see how much fat "marbling" is in the meat.  The more fat, the more tender and flavorful the meat will be (see image) Prime is the best, but usually only available to high-end restaurants. So it will be hard to find for cooking at home.  Which is fine because most home cooks will ruin it.  But if you get a chance to try it, and $$ is no object, by all means do.  Below Prime grade is Choice grade.   This is usually the grade of meat found at many supermarkets.  Most beef is grade Choice.  Below Choice is "Select." grade.  It's nothing to write home about.  It's actually kind of hard to find in grocery stores.  Many discount stores who sell it won't bother to tell you what grade it is.  There are grades lower than Select, but those are usually used in processed and canned meat. Very little beef is graded in these lower grades - only about 1%

• Beef Steak.....