Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 9 months ago

How come Batman doesn't have a permanent love partner?

Superman has Lois. 

Green Arrow has Black Canary. 

Flash has Iris.

King Arthur has Mera. 

Wonder Woman has Steve. 

Supergirl has her asian husband. 

Batman is sometime Catwoman, sometime Batgirl, sometimes Natalia, sometime some random girls.

Favorite Answer

Well, I mean...he's gay but closeted.  You get that right?  Robin?  Hello?  :)  They're the Ambiguously Gay Duo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ5u8JWHhMM

More seriously ….

It's because the character isn't well suited to romance.  Batman is a man with ONE overriding mission in life.  Beating up clowns.  Because the character's main trait is his obsession, it's just not a natural story element to have him in a committed and happy relationship with someone.  A happy Batman is a boring Batman.  

Some people have suggested that Superman is Clark Kent's REAL identity and that Clark Kent is just a disguise Superman wears.  And there's some truth to that.  But it's maybe even more apropos for Batman.  Bruce Wayne is just a thing that character does BETWEEN clown beatings.  He doesn't care about his business or his life.  He maintains political connections and high society connections because they are useful for preserving the illusion and occasional useful in crimefighting...but that character IS Batman.  Bruce Wayne is his disguise.

From a psychological point of view, Bruce Wayne is a damaged and obsessive character.

Most of the other characters you list are far less so, if at all.

This makes Bruce a very poor choice for a lasting relationship, because his damage from seeing his parent be murdered in front of his young self left him with no ability to really love another person, or even himself.

In Btaman: Hush, here's what Bruce thinks while fighting a partly controlled Superman:

“If Clark wanted to, he could use his superspeed and squish me into the cement. But I know how he thinks. Even more than the Kryptonite, he's got one big weakness. Deep down, Clark's essentially a good person... and deep down, I'm not.”

Ever since his folks were killed, he's been afraid of loss.  

Super-Man also has Wonder-Woman, Super-Girl also has Braniac-5. He had a kid with Talia!

He's more complex. 

They’ve shown in many comics, if Batman becomes happy and is in a committed relationship he becomes less effective in the war on crime, he’s broken up with girls before because Batman is more important to him. Multiple notes, 1 they’re making a Batman/Catwoman alternate reality 12 issue series soon where they have a child together if you’re interested in that, it’s by Tom King who has some really good comics and some pretty bad comics so who knows if it will be good or bad, 2 there’s one comic where multiple of his past girlfriends have a daytime talk show together and talk about Bruce Wayne on it I thought that was pretty funny, and 3 I think Batgirl is usually a teenage girl and she’s only been with Batman in one bad movie from a couple years ago, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s happened somewhere else and I just don’t know about it. 

Bats are like that