Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Do you believe in postpartum depression?

My wife has been recently diagnosed with postpartum depression and has a hard time getting out of bed. I don’t really believe in it. She is just overwhelmed with the baby and life in general. 

• Carrie

It is a real thing. Take her seriously and take care of her. 

• sdc_99

The Mayo Clinic believes in it.  Essentially all medical personnel believe in it.  She was diagnosed by someone who is presumably qualified to do so.  Why do you believe you know something they don't?

Try carrying a fetus in your body for nine months, sharing a body with the fetus, be wacked out on hormones and then shove the baby out of your peepee. My god man. I feel bad for your wife. 

So let's say you don't believe in broken legs, and your wife breaks her leg. Is it not broken because you don't believe in it?

Your wife has a genuine medical condition. You're not being helpful by saying you "don't really believe in it." Talk to her doctor about what you can do.

Yes. It happens. And people should seek help or treatment

Post-partum depression is real, can be incredibly debilitating and is not a myth. It's not simply being OVERWHELMED--it's a brain-chemistry imbalance similar to acute depression. It can also deepen into a psychosis and needs to be treated right away before that happens, as that psychosis may become permanent. Please don't discount this. It's not just being pressured by changes--it's very very REAL. Treatment is effective if done quickly.  Please do NOT ignore this. 

Kinda, but I have a feeling women use that as an excuse to get away with things. My husband works and I stay home, that's my job. If he weren't working we wouldn't have what we have. I don't have time to be depressed. I cry, I stress, I am unhappy sometimes but stuff needs to get done in the house. I have 3 kids. Maybe PPD does hit women different and I'm wrong. And if I am wrong, I am glad I did not get PPD. My smallest is 8mo. Everyone is different. Only way to know for sure what is going on with her is to ask her. Ask her how you can help. She may need professional help.

• ron h

it exists. And you're contributing to it.

Yes.  Postpartum Depression is very much real.  It happens to a lot of women.  You saying she's overwhelmed is exactly part of the problem...what are YOU doing to help alleviate this problem?  You should be helping her instead of doubting the legitimacy of this illness.  Hire a day nurse if you yourself cannot figure out what to do.  Stop acting like an immature brat, get over your stupid biases and actually lend a hand in the caring of your own child(ren).    

Yes I do because it's a fact.