Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Why mice aren't falling for the trap no more?

It worked like a charm; a sticky cardboard that unfolds in half was what i used to catch mice ( optional bait added).

Now i see them running around but they avoid the baited trap.  I do not touch the trap or bait with my bare hands so as not to transfer my scent.  

Any ideas why they learned to avoid the traps ?

Favorite Answer

They learn.  I think it's more than a left behind scent of distressed mouse because otherwise just moving the trap to a new location would work.  I have to change the type of trap I use avery few weeks on rotation during the part of the year they come inside.  The first few days of a new style of trap they work the best.

Get a cat.

Quit shooting the feral cats outside. Having 2 or 3 feral cats hanging around means the mice will not live long enough to get to your house.

• y

They learn, quickly too, change up baits and or trapping methods.

gee ... mice learn.  who'd a thunk it.  change to a different type of trap

• Barry

Mice are intelligent and they recognise danger. Use a humane poison or an electric zapper. Much more effective.

• John

Mice can't resist peanutbutter and rat poison smells and tastes like peanutbutter. Tractor Supply sells real rat poison. 

Mice are very smart animals.  Darwin's theory (adapt or die) is just working.