Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 months ago

American Christians, what do you think of this?

Update:

The creator of Mount Rushmore’s forgotten ties to white supremacy--https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/07/03/...

Update 2:

Borglum was born the son of Danish Mormon polygamists in 1867 in Idaho. A talented artist, he spent his childhood on the Western frontier and plains, in Utah and Kansas until leaving for Europe in the early 1880s to study sculpture. There, Borglum became fascinated with art on a grand scale with nationalistic subjects, which suited what many described as his bombastic, egotistical personality.

Update 3:

“Borglum was imperious, he was cocky. He was prone to angry outbursts,” said John Taliaferro, author of the 2002 book “Great White Fathers: The Story Of The Obsessive Quest To Create Mount Rushmore.”

Update 4:

Then, in 1915, Helen Plane, the founder of the Atlanta chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, approached Borglum about a possible project.

Update 5:

After the Civil War, the North began an “orgy” of Civil War monument building, Taliaferro writes in his book. One of the primary missions of the Daughters of the Confederacy, founded in 1894, was to even the score, he wrote.

Update 6:

Plane asked Borglum whether he would be interested in working on the group’s biggest project ever: a monument to the Confederacy on Stone Mountain outside Atlanta. 

Right away, Borglum was interested in sculpting on such a grand scale. After visiting the site, he saw the potential to build a colossus of his own, a tribute to what he considered great men. He immediately accepted and drew up a proposal featuring 

Update 7:

Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Jefferson Davis and J.E.B. Stewart riding in a cavalry carved in deep relief across a 1,200-foot-span of the mountain’s eastern face. The fathers of the confederacy would be 50-feet-tall, surrounded by stampeding horses and cavalrymen.

Update 8:

At the same time that Borglum was drawing up his plans for Stone Mountain, D.W. Griffith released “Birth of a Nation,” the epic silent film about the Civil War and Reconstruction. In the film, the Ku Klux Klan rescues the South from white carpetbaggers and freed slaves who had turned the great Confederacy into a drunken Sodom.

Update 9:

Plane worked out a fundraising scheme whereby an Atlanta theater donated its box office proceeds from a screening of the film to Borglum’s project, Taliaferro writes. When Plane wrote a cheery letter to Borglum announcing the development, she added: “Since seeing this wonderful and beautiful picture of Reconstruction in the South, I feel that it is due to the Ku Klux Klan which saved us from ***** domination and carpet-bag rule, that it might be immortalized on Stone Mountain.”

Update 10:

He attended Klan rallies, served on Klan committees and tried to play peacemaker in several Klan leadership disputes, Taliaferro writes.

Update 11:

Borglum was a racist long before arriving in Atlanta. The sculptor referred to immigrants as “slippered assassins" and warned that America was becoming an alien “scrap heap.” But the Klan might have hardened Borglum’s existing prejudices, Taliaferro writes.

Update 12:

In a letter to a friend in New Jersey in the early 1920s, Borglum asked, “Is it true you joined the Ku Klux Klan? I hope so. They’re a fine lot of fellows as far as I can learn and if they elect the next President, by gosh I’m going to join ‘em.”

Update 13:

He already had a new project waiting for him. A few months earlier, he’d been contacted by South Dakota’s state historian, Doane Robinson, who wanted him to sculpt a tribute to the American West in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Update 14:

But Borglum, eyeing an opportunity to make a national statement, dissuaded the historian. Instead they settled on the four American presidents, two of them slaveholders and all of them viewed by Native Americans as racist.

Update 15:

“Lakota see the faces of men who lied, cheated and murdered innocent people whose only crime was living on land they wanted to steal," said Harold Frazier, chairman of the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, who called for the removal of the monument earlier this week.

Update 16:

Native Americans have always contended that the Black Hills of South Dakota belong to them, and that the sacred land was stolen after gold was discovered there. In 1980, the Supreme Court agreed, ordering the federal government to compensate eight tribes for the seizure of Native land.

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, gee, accordin' to kittycat, them Injuns shoulda just let them Nice White Christians just take whatever they wanted and not defended their land, their lives, blah dee blah! Gaw, Injuns! Gaw! Why'd you all fight back when attacked by the Nice White Christians who were all Manifest Destiny-ing??? Gaw! It's not like you were here first or anything or they invaded you...oh. Oh wait...!

You are asking people who've been told the nice version of American Hissss-story to, um, research and find out some stuff that's truly uncomfortable and POV changing. So...GOOD LUCK. You're gonna need it. 

Also, those that erase the past by pretending it doesn't matter or there's only today  cause they'd have to engage their brain and think...**** you. What a cop out. What a cowardly goddamn cop out. That is the lesson of history itself. Look what happened, don't flinch. Don't let that happen again. Do better. Improve. 

Okay, I've offended as many as possible so I'll skedaddle. I did hear the Crazy Horse monument is spectacular. https://crazyhorsememorial.org/

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I try not to pretend the past is real. Only the present is.

• 6 months ago

maybe the Souix should not have gone to war with is. To the victor goes the spoils

And without a source the klan thing is bogus

• Arni
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

I think they ruined a perfectly good rock with them faces, nature should not be disturbed like that in my opinion too we humans are way too greedy and selfish with this great earth of ours. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.