What is a good Shakespeare monologue for teenage males to audition for an advanced drama class?

Favorite Answer

I think it depends on which character type you connect with the most.  Some suggestions:

Impulsive, immature, romantic, in debt: BASSANIO - The Merchant of Venice – Act III, Sc 2.Oh Sweet Portia...

Capable, strong, honest and loyal: SEBASTIAN - Twelfth Night - Act IV, Sc 3. This is the air…

Man of action willing to die for his honor: BOLINGBROKE - Richard II – Act II, Sc 3. As I was banish’d… 

Studious, intellectual but a bad writer: KING (FERDINAND) - Love’s Labours Lost. Act 1, Sc.1. Let fame… 

HAMLET – Hamlet – Act 1, Sc. 3. Think it no more.

• Lili

Hamlet's speech to the players would be appropriate and not as overdone as the "To Be or Not To Be" soliloquy. It's in Act #, scene ii.  And if you can make it exciting, with gestures and movements and changing tones of voice, you will genuinely be proving your acting chops.

• Rob

A personal favorite of mine is Mercutio's "Queen Mab" speech from Act 1, scene 3 of Romeo and Juliet.  

• sam

Verse 

Romeo and Juliet, Benvolio, Tybalt, here slain, who romeo's hand did slay

King Lear, Edgar: I heard myself proclaimed and by the happy hollow of a tree 

Henry 4 part 1, Hal: do not think so, you shall not find it so

Henry 4 part 1, Hotspur: my leige, I did deny no prisoners

Midsummer, Puck: My mistress with a monster is in love

As You like it, Jaques: A fool, a fool I met i' the forest

Loves Labours Lost, Berowne: And I forsooth in love!

Twelfth Night, Sebastian, This is the air, that is the glorious sunProse:Midsummer, Bottom, When my cue comes, call meAlls Well that Ends Well, Parolles: Virginity being blown down

Macbeth, Porter, Here's a knocking indeed

Forget Shakespeare. Surprise (and delight) them all with a monologue from "Withnail and I". A "Danny", say. Like "I invented it in Camberwell and it's shaped like a carrot. This will tend to make you very high. This grass is the most powerful in the western hemisphere. It grows at exactly two thousand feet above sea-level. I have it specially flown in from my man in Mexico. His name's Huang. He's an expert".

• Marli

Macbeth's "Tomorrow and tomorrow" speech or his 'Is This a dagger" speech. 

Henry V's St Crispin's Day speech.

Richard III opening speech outlining  his villainous intentions or his "Was ever woman in this humor wooed?"

Petruchio's "killing with kindness" speech in "The Taming of the Shrew".

Choosing something from "Hamlet" may seem a trite but you can often impress in an audition by bringing a fresh interpretation of a "classic" like "To be or not to be," "O that this too, too solid flesh should melt" or "O what a rogue and peasant slave am I."

If you want something a but more upbeat I'd suggest "Once more unto the breach" or the St. Crispin's Day Speech (also know as "The Band of Brothers" monologue), both have the feel of locker room "pump up" speeches.

I recall an old video of (I think) Derek Jacobi talking about doing the St. Crispin's Day speech as a youth drama school audition and he reenacted how his audition began sounding awkward and nervous, then built as the monologue became more "inspirational."  In the end he was standing on top of his chair exuberantly shouting the final lines.  It looked like good fun and a good opportunity to show off one's emotional delivery. 

• Wilson