Lisa asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

Are Root Canal's good or bad?

I went to the dentist because of really bad tooth and jaw pain. After an x-ray was taken the dentist said there is a little abscess forming at the root of one back tooth and I need a root canal. It was either that or pull the tooth and the dentist said a pulled tooth would mess with the surrounding teeth. When I told my friends they said not to get it and to watch a movie called Root Cause. They also said to use natural oils and stuff to draw out the infection and whatever instead of the root canal. Is having a root canal bad? 

Always take the opinion of a qualified medical professional when it comes to health matters. Your friends might be your well wishers but they might not have the expertise needed to deal with internal medical issues. If your dentist has recommended a root canal, they must have considered other options before the procedure but not found any as effective. So avoid delaying your root canal for too long. Do not allow the bacterial infection to spread to other areas of the mouth. This might put you at risk by causing major dental problems and other health issues. Tooth infections may lead to dental abscesses that are pus-filled sacs requiring immediate medical attention. If you fail to get timely treatment, an abscess can lead to severe health complications, such as heart attack, stroke, or life-threatening sepsis.

• k w

bad for health...says a retired Holistic dentist I know, also the Biological dentist I have...use yelp dot com to find one in your area for your own consultation. mine said the saved dead tooth flakes off dead cells into the bloodstream. AND I had the Biological dentist remove my bad root canals, and removed the bad Amalgams and filled them with composites, no issues to report. I'm slowly mending.....

Generally, root canals are a good thing, since they address a very serious problem and work to save teeth. In order to need one, the situation itself must be severe. However, shoddy dental work can turn a routine root canal into a very costly nightmare. As long as you go to a good dentist, things should be fine.

Root canals are a pain but you need to get them. Infections from your teeth can easily spread to the rest of your body so you want to get it taken care of as soon as possible. Schedule your root canal as soon as possible.

Most of the information in Root Cause is pretty iffy. The documentary has a tendency of equating correlation and causation and presents speculation as hard science fact. One of it's central claims, that root canals can lead to cancer, seems to be unfounded at best and completely made up at worst. 

Find friends that went to medical school.                       

• A

Forget the home remedies, you have an infection you need antibiotics.  if you don't get the root canal it is going to rot to the point you will have to have it pulled and it is going to hurt, the infection can spread to other teeth and jeopardize them too.  Root canal is nothing I have had 4 or 5   no pain and a great result.

• Orla

Get the root canal. No big deal.