Ben
Ben asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 2 months ago

Is 5ft 8 as common as a height for a full grown man as 6ft 2 or 6ft 3?

a) yes

b) no

When you answer, can you give me an explanation?

No.  It all depends on your heritage. People from Scandnavian countries tend to be taller than those from southern Italy.  Maybe it is the Fish?  7'7" compared to 5'2"

. All it means is we vary in size. Just like dogs. a Chihuahua compared to a Great Dane.  Both are still dogs.  They know it.

• sepia

Yes.

It depends on context, for example, 5' 8" is as common a height for men in Brazil as 6' 2" is for men in the Netherlands. 

Depends what country you are in. Average heights vary by country. 

Norway would not be the same as Vietnam.

• Marvin

Yes. 

I am 6' 3" and live in LA. Most men are slightly shorter than I am. So that is about right.

My son is 5' 10".  That is very strange in deed because my wife is Asian and I am his adopted father.

In Thailand he would be pretty tall. In the Netherlands he would be quite short.

As you almost certainly know.

I would imagine that being completely retarded is common in your family 

Yeah, it's a pretty common height.

It depends on context, for example, 5' 8" is as common a height for men in Brazil as 6' 2" is for men in the Netherlands. That's because heights in a population follow a normal distribution and because 5' 8" deviates from the mean height of men in Brazil the same amount that 6' 2" deviates from the mean height men in the Netherlands. In the context of Bolivia and Portugal, however, that can't be said, because 5' 8" is far more common than 6' 2" in comparing those populations.