Should I buy a Switch or a gaming PC?

I'm buying the Xbox Series X on release and I can only afford one extra gaming machine, so I'm trying to decide.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I am always in favour of gaming PCs. They are far more versatile. And pc game have mods which expands replayability and longevity of most games.

• Shadow
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Maybe you could look at the hybrid tower which has a gaming PC and a console merged together. They have one with a Playstation and one with a Xbox. They also have separate outputs. That may be a cheaper option that purchasing two separate systems.

A Switch may be a better option for portable gaming although it'll be a bit frustrating with the buttons because the A B X & Y buttons are swopped around when compared to the Xbox controller.

• 2 months ago

Gaming PC, of course

• 2 months ago

While it ultimately boils down on what games you're interested in & how / where you play that will determine what you'll want to pick up...  here's some details you'll likely want to consider before making this decision.

* Gaming PC with capabilities similar to a console (like XBox Series X) are generally MORE EXPENSIVE (~$1,000 range) for a desktop system & MASSIVELY EXPENSIVE (~$1,500 - $2,000 range) for a laptop system by comparison to a console.  There's also the potential issue of periodically upgrading components (like graphics cards) every 2-3 years OR replacing the entire system every 5+ years to maintain the graphical quality of new releases.  It is possible to cut expenses (going as low as $500) venturing into the secondary markets & going DIY, but you don't have control over the quality of components & have no warranties to work with.

ON THE UPSIDE, Gaming PC's are more flexible in terms of gaming as you can explore gaming's 40+ year history with emulators & do some non-gaming stuff as well... which makes PC's the electronics equivalence of a Swiss Army Knife.

* The Switch (~$300) is a Home-Portable hybrid that allows you to play games on your TV AND on the go, which gives you flexibility on how & where you play your games.  While graphical quality on the Switch may not be as great compared to other platforms on the same game, the ability to take your games with you is the biggest appeal of the console.  This is why some publishers are releasing some of their older hits on the Switch (like Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Bioshock collection, Borderlands collection) in addition to new releases.

The Switch Lite (~$200) is a bit more affordable as it's a Portable Only system, as they cut out all the home-friendly options (like connecting to a TV via a dock, removable JoyCons & HD rumble) & it a bit smaller to make it easier for most to hold.  You can still play all the Switch titles, but you may need to purchase a pair of JoyCons to play some titles in tabletop mode.

ON THE UPSIDE, Switches portability makes it easy to play the games you enjoy without a TV or lugging a suitcase containing your console.

I hope this sheds some light on how you want to proceed here.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

What do you think you will play the most?

The Switch has content that won't be on Xbox and most things that are on Xbox will also be available for PC.

So if you have other reasons for needing a PC upgrade, then sure.  Go with that.

If you are looking for games that can't be played on an Xbox, then the Switch isn't a bad choice.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I'd go for the PC if it'll be a big improvement over your current rig. Do you really need another oddball platform you have to buy all new software for?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.