Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 months ago

Did any part of Berlin and Dresden go relatively untouched from the bombings?

If I wanted to see pre-war Dresden and Berlin did any area in those cities go untouched from the bombings in WWII? BTW I had a relative who flew in a Handly Page Halifax and was shot down over Germany.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, vast parts of the big cities in Germany survived WWII relatively untouched, especially the rich quarters with their large gardens, far away from the easy and highly flammable targets in the centers and the workers' quarters.

But you know, eighty years after, just fragments of what has been then and before can still be found, with or without war.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Before any one rants about Churchill ordering bombing of civilians, you have to realise that there were no industrial estates then, factories were in the cities. Also no one commuted , they lived a short walk or cycle ride from their work , so the houses were near the factories. It was impossible to bomb one without the other. I’m not saying it’s right, that’s war.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Virtually all of Dresden on the east bank of the Elbe was untouched by the bombing in Feb. '45.  That's the side where the Army arsenal was located.  None of the 7 bridges over the river had any significant damage.  In fact, the post-war United States Strategic Bombing Survey found Dresden to be 59% destroyed due to bombing.

Damage in Berlin due to bombing was calculated to be 33%.  Most of its damage was due to the Battle of Berlin in April-May '45.  

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Yes Been to both Berlin about 20% remained Dresden about the same

Jever in Northern Germany $100 remained a did the Military airfield why because the town Surrendered before that allies had a chance to attack her

I was stationed at RAF Jever after WW2 and the Jever Export Brewery was still operating

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

there was little bombing from the allies that was not in response to the nazi launches of v2 and v1.

most destruction comes from pattons advance on berlin and as a superiour cunning general he only used his weapons as need be.

what you will find in berlin is damage from the soviet union post war occupation of eastern europe.

so huge detrumental wreckage on the eastern side of the wall but on the western side pristine modern well taken care of old and new berlin.

I've never been there but I do know the soviets are big time slobs kinda lazy and dumb.

greedy too.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Yes.  The area of Dresden that was destroyed was centred around the 'old city' and was about 2 square miles.  Berlin was comprehensively bombed.  Hamburg REALLY got smashed!

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

From what I have read 80% of Berlin was completely destroyed and 65% of Dresden was completely destroyed. 

• Marli
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

You could search "Dresden" "Berlin" "History" "Bombing" using an internet search engine like Google.

You could read history or travel books about Dresden and Berlin.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Some of the outer suburbs maybe.

• 9 months ago

No.  Both cities were leveled.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.