Is Putting Unpopped Microwave Popcorn in the Freezer a Good Idea?

I normally store my microwave popcorn in the pantry at room temperature.  I was wondering if there is any advantage or disadvantage to that, or to keeping it in the refrigerator or the freezer until I actually use it.

• Fubar
    Favorite Answer

We keep ours {mom does} in the kitchen cupboard an use it before Use By, keeping it in the refrigerator might be a good idea~~~~

Edit, Storing the kernels at room temp maintains the right conditions for maximized popping. It's not unsafe to store unpopped popcorn in the freezer, but it may affect the popping ability of the kernels. Stored in an airtight plastic or glass container, popcorn stays fresh for up to two years at room temperature~~~~ Information found online

• kswck2

It is already shelf stable, why? 

There's literally no point in freezing it; and you may damage the kernels doing so.

Leave it in the cupboard. It's designed to store at room temperature. 

How fast does it take you to go through a box of popcorn? 

The oils would be the only thing that might present a problem if it takes you a year or more to go through a box.  The oils can become rancid. If popcorn "dries out" anymore than it is it may take longer to pop or you may not get as good of a "pop" but the corn itself will last a long time. 

If you store it in the fridge or freezer allow it to come to room temperature before you pop it so the oil melts and begins to pop the corn before the kernels scorch or burn. 

But if you use it regularly no need to store it in fridge or freezer. 

(check the "use by, best by" date and see how long the shelf life it according to the manufacturer.  I am sure you would finish the box before that date...and it will be just fine past that date)