Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

How can you tell when someone is humble bragging or status signaling when they discuss their preferences for expensive/prestigious activity?

You can tell because they don't say it like "omggg, I got into this new club, this new prestigious university, etc." they say it more like "I'm so excited to announce that I've been accepted here and there....just wanted to update y'all." very annoying indeed.

I find that in situations where I've had people humble brag to me, their situations weren't that much better than mine. for example, when I was applying to PhD programs, I knew this girl who would brag on ALL THE TIME...about her grades, the # of interviews, her traveling across the country to more "desirable" places (e.g., CA, FL, NY) for these interviews. she would mask it as being "really grateful" and such. to make matters worse, whenever she and I would talk, she would always ask me about the number of interviews I had when I previously stated numerous times I would not be disclosing such info .also, I was scared b/c I only had 1 interview whereas she had 6, and my chances of getting into 1 program were slim numbers wise. still, she never stopped and I cut off contact with her during the application cycle.

these types of people are just insecure so although it's hard, just brush it off. ignore their texts, emails, etc. the girl I mentioned above actually did NOT get into any of those programs, whereas I got into the 1 program which is at a prestigious university and one of the top programs in the country. she ended up having to "settle" to a lower tier program. it's funny how life works out.

in sum: work hard, stay humble, sit back and relax, and ignore their bragging. don't take the bait. once you stop taking the bait, they'll realize you're not interested in hearing about their accomplishments any longer.

i dont think you can always tell

• g

Why does that matter - either respond or dont. Their intent isn't really an issue.