Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 3 weeks ago

When should I take a pregnancy test?

Given that I have a 28-day cycle and am only on day 16, I'm inclined to believe I'm not pregnant. However, I've been experiencing some pregnancy symptoms the past couple of days, such as nausea that comes and goes, aversions to tea and coffee, fatigue, dizziness, etc. Most Google responses tell me to wait until the day of my missed period to take a home pregnancy test, (assuming I don't get a test that gives somewhat earlier results), but I'm anxious to know. I can always follow up if the result is negative, but is it possible to get an accurate result now?

Test when your period has been missing for at least three to five days.

On a 28 day cycle - right now is about the time of ovulation.  (usually at around day 13 to 14).  This means even if a pregnancy is beginning - it has only been a couple of days.  It is FAR TOO SOON for actual pregnancy symptoms or pregnancy hormones. 

Even if you are pregnant - whatever you are feeling right now is probably being caused by something else.

BTW - I have had all the symptoms you listed and I had a hysterectomy a few years ago.Those symptoms are NOT exclusive to pregnancy.  There are MANY things that can trigger those symptoms.

• sarah

With a 28-day cycle, you most likely ovulate on day 14, and since you're only two days past that and it takes 7-14 days after sex for a fertilized egg to actually implant, there's no way you would be having pregnancy symptoms this early.

The quickest way to know would be to go get a blood test done; those can give accurate results at around 6-8 days after ovulation. Otherwise, your only option is to wait until your period is late and take a urine test.

Ovulation is common mid-cycle, which would mean if you conceived, it would have been within the last few days.

You would not have any pregnancy symptoms, and no test would show a positive yet if you did conceive, not even a blood test this early.

If you miss a period, take a test.