What do you call the loop/hook thing that a prisoner's chains were linked to in a medieval dungeon?

I'm writing a novel from that time period and there's a scene where a character breaks free from that circular thing that secures a prisoner's chains to the wall of a medieval dungeon. Anyone know what the thing is called?

5 Answers

  • Marli
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

    A ring that was bolted to the wall or floor.

  • Ludwig
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

    The 'Bhull'.    In medieval times prisoners were sentence to by 'Hung by ye bhulls'

  • 3 weeks ago

    I don't think theres a proper name for that. You could say that "said person" broke their shackles from the wall and the chains fell to the dusty floor with a loud thump. But otherwise, I have nothing for you. 

  • Elaine
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    Could the word you are looking for be "fetters"? 

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dj2541
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    I believe they are called  wall  shackles.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.