Can my condo HOA require my auto insurance card?

I own a condo unit and the HOA has recently changed the locks on the building. When I went to pick up the new keys, they said they would not give them to me because it's policy that they need to have a copy of my auto insurance. Is this legal? The HOA tends to overstep boundaries and make up rules daily

I understand having my car make/model info, but what do they need my auto insurance card for?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

They need your insurance details to make sure all vehicles at the property are insured and legal. 

• 2 weeks ago

Hiring a lawyer is expensive and they will be paying their lawyer with association money

• car253
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

you have to look in your condo laws.    never live in a condo.

• 3 weeks ago

never live where hoa's control your life

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • May
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Condo associations often go way beyond what is needed or normal.  

Ask them, not us, why they need/want your proof of insurance.

• 3 weeks ago

I live in a Condo development as well.  You are dealing with eggheads, so good luck.  Tell them to show you, in your state's condo law that they have to have the information.  they won't be able.  

• 3 weeks ago

Hard to tell without seeing your condo bylaws but is it worth it to fight it?  Hiring a lawyer is expensive and they will be paying their lawyer with association money, part of which is yours.

• 3 weeks ago

The car insurance is so that if someone says you damaged something (usually someone else's car, but it could also be a fence post, the building, etc.) with your car, then they can call the insurance company.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Just give the card.  This is why I got out of condos.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

i would ask the place where you got your auto insurance about it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.