Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesVolkswagen · 5 months ago

Social judgment on a young man driving a 2001 VW Beetle?

Okay. I love the classic old VW Beetles. They are beautiful to me, but the new ones seem to have a femanint visual vibe to me. I'm a broke college kid and I got a great deal on a 2001 VW Beetle in great condition. It drives great and the MPG is fantastic for how broke I am. However, I have felt slightly self conscious about it and was curious if anyone else felt the same way. 

Like I said, my Bug is a great deal and a great gas saver so I'm not getting rid of it soon. Just curious of others judgments on a male (me) driving it. Thank you.

I'm broke, it's cheap, runs good and is good on gas! 😂

if its not a tdi you will be classicfied as a fag sorry bettles are for gay peolple

I used to work with a guy who drove one of those. He didn't care. His thing was that people were too shallow to label someone over their car and too stupid to realize that it's basically a Golf underneath. I get what you're saying about the fem vibe. It has a flower vase next to the steering and the design has soft flows. What I would recommend doing is getting it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic if you haven't already. I don't recommend those to broke college kids. The car is almost 20 years old so even if it's in the best of shape, age can be the deciding factor in how long equipment will last.  Maintenance costs and repair costs can be steep on VWs and they are prone to electrical gremlins. If you can swing the costs, then keep it. Ask mechanics what it costs to replace items on this car versus something like a Toyota or Honda. Oftentimes than not, the money you didn't pay up front for a Toyota or Honda equates to a higher ownership cost after purchase, which can end up costing you more overall.  Sorry for not having paragraphs, but I'm typing this from my cell phone. Good luck.

Feminine? 

Let me ask you a question. 

What's more important to you? 

The way things are, or 

the way things appear to be?

When it is dark and rainy, I have never heard of anyone refusing a lift because the car was too GAY.  EVEN IF IT WAS PINK.

Also the Classics were the air cooled rear engine cars. They stopped making in 1975 or so.   Then the car was redesigned(looked like an oversized Roller skate) with front water cooled engine from Rabbit/Golf(it depends on the country for the naming) It was the same car with a different name. Polo was even in there I believe for the Southern states or Mexico,& south America.  Still it is the same car .  The NEW BEETLE was on those frames. They had electrical problems like the early Rabbits. Did not sound like the Classics at all.

Only losers worry what other people say because of the car they drive.

• Anton

For over 70 years I have not worried what the losers thought about me or my vehicle.

• Ron

I'm judging you because you asked this question, not because you drive that car

Girls and women are feminine, not cars.  If you feel like driving a certain car will get you punked, nobody's punking you more than you are yourself.

• Bill

Don’t worry about it but don’t put a flower in it or hang anything from the rear view mirror.   

Man-up and stop worrying about what other people might think of your car. It"s your car, your life, your decision and you have sound reasons for owning it.